Vowel in "rang", "sank", etc

Lazar   Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:09 am GMT
How pronounceth ye the vowel in words like "rang", "sank", etc? Dictionaries all say it's /{/, but I pronounce it more like /e/ or /eI/.
Guest   Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:18 am GMT
I don't really know exactly what each of those symbols sounds like, but I pronounce them with the same vowel as in "main" or "rain". I'm pretty sure.
Lazar   Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:19 am GMT
Huh? I did not write the post above, but I did write an identical post nearly two years ago. This is either a troll, or some weird forum error.
Lazar   Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:20 am GMT
(And by "post above", I meant the first post in this thread; "Guest" posted while I was still typing.)
User   Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:39 am GMT
It's supposed to be pronounced with the long "ay" vowel, like in "rag" or "say".
Lazar   Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:49 am GMT
<<It's supposed to be pronounced with the long "ay" vowel, like in "rag" or "say".>>

Except I (and most English speakers) don't have that vowel in "rag". "Rag" has the same vowel as "cat" for us. ;-)

Anyway, I think this issue was settled long ago (ie, back in 2005 when I *actually* posted this thread). Outside of North America, "-ang" words generally have /{N/. In North America, the traditional pronunciation would also be /{N/, and there are still many Americans who use this pronunciation, although the more progressive pronunciation /eN/ has become very common.

One thing I've noticed is that raising /{N/ to /eN/ seems to be significantly more common than raising /IN/ to /iN/. The former seems to be widespread in all regions, whereas the latter still tends to be associated mostly with the West Coast. (For example, Travis and I both have /eN/ but we don't have /iN/.)
Pete   Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:53 pm GMT
<<Huh? I did not write the post above, but I did write an identical post nearly two years ago. This is either a troll, or some weird forum error.>>

Yeah, I remember you were talking about how people pronounced tank in different regions in America...

It seems like some troll is trying to impersonate Lazar, he would never say something like "How pronounceth ye..."

Pete
Lazar   Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:11 pm GMT
<<It seems like some troll is trying to impersonate Lazar, he would never say something like "How pronounceth ye...">>

No, I actually did use those words when I posted this thread in 2005. Look at the archived version: http://www.antimoon.com/forum/posts/7207.htm . I was just being facetious at the time.

Whoever posted this thread simply copied and pasted what I originally wrote.