Difference between passe compose and imparfait

-   Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:37 pm GMT
I just dont understand the difference between passe compose and imparfait. Could anyone help me? Merci beacoup.
Calliope   Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:51 pm GMT
It's the difference between simple present perfect and past continuous: eg. I have done vs I was doing. Note that in French, the passe compose tends to (if it already hasn't) replace the passe simple completely; so in english the juxtapposition would be simple past/ simple present perfect vs past continuous: I did/I have done vs I was doing.
-   Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:28 am GMT
So thats the difference. Thanks!
My teacher said that imparfait is the most commonly used tense in french, is that true? It seems that the simple past tense is more widely used in english than past continuous.
Calliope   Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:33 am GMT
I would say the most common past tense in French is passe compose, but let's hear what the native speakers have to say.
Rob   Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:52 am GMT
In Spanish we use the simple tense...

yo estudie

but also like the passe compose

yo he estudiado

In English is the same...

I studied

I have studied

In French and Italian The simple tense is garbage. It's History that's all!

I have studied French and i would say that the imparfait and the passe compose are equally used or mixed in conversation.
fab   Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:36 pm GMT
"In Spanish we use the simple tense..."

In Spain they tend to use mainly the passado compuesto as we do in French and Italian. In Latin America the use of the simple past is much more spread.