Non-native speakers' accents

Curious   Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:43 pm GMT
Hello!

It is sometimes the case that non-native speakers' ability to write English may come fairly close to that of native speakers (although even that is rare). However, their accents almost invariably show strong influence from their native languages, even after years of diligent training. Of course, it is not a shame to sound foreign, but what makes learning a native-like pronunciation so extremely difficult? Have you ever taken a non-native speaker for a native speaker? What are the most difficult features of pronunciation to learn - single sounds, rhytm, intonation etc.?

Thanks!
Calliope   Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:05 pm GMT
"what makes learning a native-like pronunciation so extremely difficult?"
You learn how to speak in a specific way at a very young age, and it becomes an automatic process for you. It is just as hard as trying to write with the wrong hand - you can improve a lot with practice, but I doubt you will ever be as good at it as you are when using your "correct" hand.

"Have you ever taken a non-native speaker for a native speaker?"
It is possible. I have heard foreigners speak my own language *almost* as well as a native speaker; also, there was this tutor at university that sounded practically native in English (as the native English speakers pointed out). However, there are always some small details you eventually get to notice, that give away the person's non-nativeness (is that even a word..?)

"What are the most difficult features of pronunciation to learn - single sounds, rhytm, intonation etc.?"
For me, the hardest part is learning which part of the mouth you need to generate your sounds in. That is also a process as automatic as breathing, and it can be really really hard to change.