The future of English

Vincent   Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:09 pm GMT
Today I've read David Crystal's "English as a globa language", a very good study I think; later I was thinking about the future of English. Will it keep being a global language? In my country we already observe a growing interest for Chinese, people think if their kids leran Chinese they'll be more able to find a good job... I wonder if English alnguage predominance will survive the decline of USA.
Realist   Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:09 pm GMT
Why should I worry if English is replaced as a global language??? The United States will be the number one economic power until 2050 and be in the top 3 for another century and a half. Who cares???? Shouldn't countries like the Netherlands, Denmark and Finland worry about language decline rather than the 300-million strong gorilla known as the United States.

The US is in decline - that is news to me. The same people that said Britain would be the first industrialized country to become third-world are clamoring for the downfall of the US. There is simply no supporting evidence of a decline and people should cease using the term.
Ryan   Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:18 am GMT
The gross domestic product of the United States is still almost six times that of China. And that's not taking into account the combined GDPs of the UK, Canada, Australia, etc. I think we're still a long way away from the time when China will surpass the anglophone world economically, if it ever does. Stick to learning English if you want to speak the international economic language, although I'm sure there will be a strong niche for Chinese speakers in upcoming years.