is grammatically correct ?

guest   Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:09 pm GMT
"It was a great experience that I could actually learn about international trade."

thanks in advance
Frances   Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:46 pm GMT
No problems with it - grammar is good.
nguyen hoang anh   Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:38 pm GMT
i always have troubles with the articles althoulgt I have spent many time to study how to use it correctly.I want to have some advice about how to study articles efficiently
Ecko   Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:43 am GMT
Its a bit off.

try this:
"It was a great experience[,] [one where] I could actually learn about international trade."
Damian   Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:02 am GMT
It makes sense and it's acceptable. It means that learning about international trade was a great experience. International trade is the subject.

You could also say:

"It was a great experience in which I could actually learn about international trade."

In this form the great experience is the subject.
Damian   Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:06 am GMT
Ok...to be pompously and insufferably pedantic you could have titled this thread: "Is this grammatically correct?"

"Is grammatically correct?" is a wee bit like saying "Me no speak English".
Kukuyu   Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:56 pm GMT
I'd say: It is I to not speak English :)
tani   Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:20 am GMT
i think something is off with the sentence.

for me, to say "it was a great experience that I could actually learn about international trade" means that there is this fact:
- "i could actually learn about international trade",
and that this fact is a great experience, which, i say, doesn't make sense. it's like saying an object "blossom", or an event "blossom blooms" is a great experience. i mean it is more like a fact, a phenomenon perhaps, but not an experience. anyway, i think it'd make more sense if it's something like:
- "it was a great experience for me to actually learn about international trade", or simply
- "it was great that I could actually learning about international trade".
tani   Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:22 am GMT
the last example should read
"it was great that i could actually learn about international trade".
Chamonix   Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:25 pm GMT
What about:
"I was a great experience learning about international trade."?

It's shorter.You used too many words.