American Slang

Alexandra   Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:24 am GMT
Hello Everyone! I am very glad I found this forum. I have a question regarding American slang. Can somebody explain to me what this means??

"like OMG can you believe that he like dumped her?"

What does "OMG" and "dumped" mean? I looked it up in a slang dictionary, is says "an act of defecating." So what did this "he" do to "her"? Is this something sexual maybe?? I don't understand this.

thank you,
User   Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:31 am GMT
It means that "he" is no longer the boyfriend of "her". They are no longer romantic lovers. They will never date again.

OMG means "Oh my God!" sort of like in French "Mon dieu!" It's an interjection.
like: a Valspeak filler word, that means almost nothing in this sentence.

To dump: to break up, to no longer be friends who are in love
AI   Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:43 pm GMT
>>Hello Everyone! I am very glad I found this forum. I have a question regarding American slang. Can somebody explain to me what this means??

"like OMG can you believe that he like dumped her?"

What does "OMG" and "dumped" mean? I looked it up in a slang dictionary, is says "an act of defecating." So what did this "he" do to "her"? Is this something sexual maybe?? I don't understand this.<<

Is it only America that people use terms such as "OMG" and "dumped?" I thought it at least would be in the UK too...
zzz   Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:01 pm GMT
>> Is it only America that people use terms such as "OMG" and "dumped?" I thought it at least would be in the UK too...<<

It's Valspeak. It originated in California, but has spread throughout the Anglosphere, mostly in the US.
Sarcastic Californian   Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:24 pm GMT
<<<>> Is it only America that people use terms such as "OMG" and "dumped?" I thought it at least would be in the UK too...<<

It's Valspeak. It originated in California, but has spread throughout the Anglosphere, mostly in the US.>>>

Really? I can swear that "OMG" had never crossed my lips. And I'm Californian, if you can't read my username...
zzz   Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:30 pm GMT
>>
Really? I can swear that "OMG" had never crossed my lips. <<

Really?
Guest   Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:37 am GMT
He probably means he has never said "oh em gee".
Guest   Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:50 pm GMT
Oh my Gosh might be a norm in CA, that's what he or she meant to say.
Sarcastic Californian   Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:49 pm GMT
<<<He probably means he has never said "oh em gee". >>>

Correct.

<<<Oh my Gosh might be a norm in CA, that's what he or she meant to say.>>>

Actually, I've noticed more people say "Oh my God" over here, rather than "Oh my Gosh."
j   Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:31 pm GMT
Also 'Oh my Goodness' and 'Oh boy'
Ivan the Terrible   Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:08 pm GMT
'OMG' is usually internet slang. I've never heard anyone in the real world say 'OMG'; it would sound weird, like someone saying 'LOL' for 'Laughing out loud.'

But yes, when you 'dump' someone it usually means that they were dating and one person stopped dating ('dumped') the other.
Sarcastic Californian   Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:34 pm GMT
<<<Also 'Oh my Goodness' and 'Oh boy'>>>

"Oh my God" is generally used for if someone is appalled, scared, disbelieving, etc. I've never heard "Oh boy," in replacement of "Oh my God."