Unnoticeable, Wired, funny, Terrible mistakes

Seljuk   Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:49 am GMT
You don't even clean up your ass after you shitted! Hah, what a NATIONALITY! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Eric   Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:52 pm GMT
You sir debate with such class, wits and relevancy that it would be vain to contradict you. Have a good day.
Pete   Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:36 pm GMT
<<"the race"
Not such a thing. Mankind is a race. French is a nationality.>>

A dog is a species (canis domesticus), and you have lots of races... Fox terrier, Collie Cocker Spaniel, Doberman, etc...

Mankind is a species, (homo sapiens sapiens). A race is a different variation of a species still permiting interbreeding. The thing is that races in the past were even more noticeble and pure (please I'm talking ethnically here, no racist or nazi bullshit), but now we're part of a small village, where there are just different people everywhere.

And some French people speak excellent English, but there's also a whole lot of French who don't like to speak English even if they can.

Pete from Peru
Eric   Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:47 pm GMT
"A dog is a species (canis domesticus), and you have lots of races... Fox terrier, Collie Cocker Spaniel, Doberman, etc...

Mankind is a species, (homo sapiens sapiens). A race is a different variation of a species still permiting interbreeding. The thing is that races in the past were even more noticeble and pure (please I'm talking ethnically here, no racist or nazi bullshit), but now we're part of a small village, where there are just different people everywhere. "

This would work if the various races among the dog species were not the result of centuries of human selective breeding, resulting in dogs with more distinct features from each other. This is not different for humans. We are one species with various possible features which have always existed. The only reason why there are many people with the same features — such as skin color — grouped together in the same contient/geographical area is beacause they originally settled where they were most fit. Which is why, to give an example, you find people with enough melanine to bear all the ultraviolet rays (i.e. Black people) in Africa. That's why I would disput the concept of "races" and would only agree with the concept of one human species.
Eric   Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:00 pm GMT
"And some French people speak excellent English, but there's also a whole lot of French who don't like to speak English even if they can."

In my experience (and I can't be suspected of not knowing many French people) those who'd rather not speak English if they can avoid it are those whose English isn't all that good. And few of us speak excellent English. There *are* some Frenchmen who refuse to speak in their excellent English, but this is a rarity. However, some of those are famous and thus have more impact on how the French are perceived abroad than the anonymous willing English speakers.
Franco   Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:46 pm GMT
And some brits speak French but most don't so best you learn english before travelling to that place. I think they would be afraid to speak french even if they knew some due to less potent genes.
Pete   Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:55 pm GMT
<<That's why I would disput the concept of "races" and would only agree with the concept of one human species.>>

Well, I understand your position. Let's not argue about this because it would be a never ending discussion. We're here to talk about mistakes that are not so weird. And I guess no Native speaker has come her to enlighten us...

I think that some mistake in the pronunciation of a words would be sound strane to them but still passable, I'm not quite sure though, I'm no native speaker...

Pete from Peru