will be Chinese (mandarin) used outside CN in future?

2992   Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:59 am GMT
I'm living in China since more than one year and I'm kinda wondering how much Chinese will be used outside China considering its huge population, chinese speakers, economy and all the other factors.
We already have EN, FR, ESP as intl languages, but... what about CN?>
:-/
PS: I was living in EU all my life until couple of years ago when I went to China and traveled in many area around the world since several years...
Ghandi   Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:13 am GMT
To do what with the Chinese outside China?
Who needs it outside China?
2992   Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:19 am GMT
considering chinese number and the fact that nowadays more and more of them are imigrating all over the world.... I was just wondering .... u know...
--------------------------
"I have spam" - yeah, sure....
Jim   Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:24 pm GMT
it 's time for chinese to learn a foreign language.
2992   Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:24 am GMT
agree! :P
Lazar   Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:31 am GMT
It's an interesting prospect, but I think the Hanzi would be a big obstacle to large numbers of non-Chinese people picking it up.
Guest   Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:33 am GMT
No
ZhongGuoRen   Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:39 am GMT
Mandarin Chinese would be hardly used outside China (China=Mainland+Hongkong+Macau+Taiwan), but Mandarin Chinese is also widely used by Overseas Chinese in Singapore, as well as in the Chinatowns of America, Australia, and Europe. This is really a large amount of people.
History   Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:47 pm GMT
It all depends on China itself.
If in the future china has more economical influence, people outside china will choose to learn chinese.
As I know, many korean and japanese young men are learning chinese in their colleges.
Besides, there are abt 50 million overseas chinese through out the world, most of which can speak chinese.
Kendra   Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:51 pm GMT
-Mandarin Chinese is also widely used by Overseas Chinese in Singapore, as well as in the Chinatowns of America, Australia, and Europe.-

not true, Cantonese is more used there
History   Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:04 pm GMT
To Kendra

When we are talking about the usage of one language, we mean both written and spoken of the language. In most cases, we mean written language. therefore, no matter which varieties of chinese, cantonese or madarin, they are written in the same forms. Anyway, when you sufer on the internet, you are reading and writting, not speaking.
zzz   Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:10 am GMT
Well, I would say that Chinese is certainly used outside of China. However, it is used mostly by Chinese immigrants, and learned by people who live in an city with a large Chinese population. For example, in Vancouver, there are a lot of Chinese people. It is also learned by non-Chinese people who want to communicate with the them, and thus is an important language in Vancouver--it is more important than even French, as only about 1% are French. However, people from say, Fargo, ND would not learn Chinese, as there are not a significant number of Chinese speakers there. So, unless they were planning to travel to China, they would have no reason to learn Chinese.
Franco   Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:20 am GMT
Chinese will soon be used outside of China when China invades and settles in Siberia, then the local Russian population will have to speak Chinese to keep in the mix of things. There is also the possibility that it will be spoken in Japan if there is a military conflict between them, and due to the fact that Japan is pacifist I think China has a much higher probablility of coming on top in such a conflict, thus it is only a reasonable assumption to make that the victor of this dastardly war would be the Chinese. Also, I've been wondering lately if it is not likely that China move westward into Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan, as there is a great demand for Chinese goods there and the local population would probably welcome annexation aswell to allow them to escape from the iron paw grip of their brutal military dictator totalitarian facist governments.
ZhongGuoRen   Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:17 am GMT
Franco

Haven't you ever studies the history of WW II?Do you really know how much Chinese people were Killed and Raped by Japanese Army (atrocious crimes)?If you don't, please stop your absurd consequence. Remember, CHINA will NEVER be a militaristic or hegemonic nation!CHINA's government will always pursue lofty political goals ------ permanent peace, social stability, and mutualism.
Franco   Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:30 am GMT
No offence but you seem to the child of political idealism.