Ms

Frances   Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:30 am GMT
I have to use "Ms" because I have kept my maiden name and have tied the knot. I'd prefer Miss myself though.
Brennus   Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:15 am GMT
Uriel,

What you say about Hispanics in your area, or anywhere for that matter, holds true only for about two or three generations. It was once true of many Irish, Italian and lower class German immigrants in the United States too. For example, I remember as a child in the 1950's a rough-looking, semi-alcoholic neighbor of ours , Bill Kraus (good German name), breaking all the fingers on his wife's hands in a drunken fit one night and my father had to rush her to the hospital.

Already, here in Seattle, I'm surprised at how many Chicano parents work hard at saving money so their kids can go to college. I've seen the number of Chicano kids reading in public libraries increase quite a bit just over the past 15 or 20 years.
Damian   Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:29 am GMT
**rush her to the hospital**

That's another Transatlantic difference. In the UK we say "rush her to hospital". She was "in hospital for two days" etc.

Using the definite article generally means a reference to a specific hospital eg "She was rushed to the Astley Ainslie Hospital".
bert   Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:33 am GMT
God I love those Asain and Hispanic women
Gjones2   Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:28 pm GMT
>**rush her to the hospital** That's another Transatlantic difference. In the UK we say "rush her to hospital". [Damien]

And you save the time it would have taken to say 'the'. :-)
Gjones2   Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:34 pm GMT
The spoken form 'miz' was a traditional Southern term before the modern practice of using 'Ms.' arose. It may have originated as a slurred form of 'Mrs.', but it was used for persons whose marital status was unknown too and even for women who were known to be unmarried. Also it could go with either the first or last name.
Uriel   Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:29 pm GMT
Two or three generations my ass, Brennus. Some of these people have been here for four hundred years. This is the hispanic Southwest. These are not immigrants.
Geoff_One   Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:49 pm GMT
<< Here's how it works:

Mr. (mister) = any man

Miss (miss) = single woman
Mrs. (missiz) = married woman
Ms. (mizz) = any woman >>

Also:

Master = boy

Miss = girl