Linking/Intrusive r

Jim   Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:52 am GMT
Yep, linking/intrustive [r\] after these vowels.

SCHWA = [@]
NEAR = [I@] or [I:]
SQUARE = [e@] or [e:]
PALM/START = [6:]
THOUGHT/NORTH/FORCE = [o:]
NURSE = [3:]

I say there's a [j] after the following.

FLEECE = [i:]
FACE = [{I]
PRICE = [Ae]
CHOICE = [oI]

And a [w] after these.

GOAT = [@}]
GOOSE = [}:]
MOUTH = [{O]

I also think that I can safely say that I have no CURE. What didn't get hit by pure-poor split seems to have disintegrated into a two syllable [}:w@].
Josh Lalonde   Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:07 pm GMT
Interesting stuff. CURE has split for me as well, but I'm not sure if it's the same way (I'm Canadian by the way). Some CURE words (pure, sure, jury, etc.) are generally pronounced with NURSE: [pj3`], [S3`], [d_Z3`r\i], but others are always with [jUr\]: poor, tour, lure. Are the ones that stay [jUr\] for me the same ones that become [o:] for you?
Josh Lalonde   Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:14 pm GMT
I forgot to mention that the first set, the CURE words that go with NURSE, can optionally be pronounced [jUr\] as well, especially in formal or careful speech.
MegaBox   Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:52 am GMT
CURE completely merges with FORCE for me. I have the pour-poor merger both having /o:/ for me.
MegaBox   Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:54 am GMT
<<[jUr\]: poor, tour, lure>>

You have a /j/ sound in "poor", "tour" and "lure", Josh Lalonde?
Josh Lalonde   Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:17 am GMT
<<You have a /j/ sound in "poor", "tour" and "lure", Josh Lalonde?>>
Whoops, no I don't. That should be [Ur\].
Josh Lalonde   Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:30 am GMT
MegaBox, I'm still trying to figure out where exactly on the scale of Creole to standard JamE your idiolect falls. Do you for example, ever use [ie] and [uo] for FACE and GOAT respectively? Do you distinguish LOT and THOUGHT from TRAP and BATH/PALM? Do you have the line-loin merger? On a more grammatical note, do you have case distinction for personal pronouns? (I hope you don't feel that I'm interrogating you about your accent. If you have any questions about Canadian English, feel free to ask me).
Buddhaheart   Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:23 pm GMT
I’m rhotic and I use linking r but not intrusive r in my speech.

I would say “water and ice” as /wO:t@r @n aIs/ & "China and Japan" as
/tSaIn@ @n dZ@pEn/.

I believe, from what I read, MFK was talking about a non-rhotic form of
English called Singlish spoken by some of the local people there (Ethnic
Chinese speaking Southern dialects, Malays & etc.) whose first languages
are non-rhotic. The phoneme /l/ is used in place of /r/ in all cases.
Doug Pebb   Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:07 pm GMT
My CURE does not split and doesn't merge with anything and I have /7:/ for the CURE words. E.G.,

"poor" - /p7:/

"tour" - /t7:/

"moor" - /m7:/
Lazar   Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:36 pm GMT
You use [7:]/[ɤ:] for that vowel? If you don't mind my asking: where are you from, and could you tell us more about your dialect?
Lazar   Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:39 pm GMT
(Oh, I see from other threads that you're from Northern England.)
Doug Pebb   Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:23 am GMT
<<You use [7:]/[ɤ:] for that vowel?>>

Yes, I have [7:] for the CURE vowel. Does you CURE undergo a split like many others' here CURE does?
Lazar   Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:11 am GMT
<<Does you CURE undergo a split like many others' here CURE does?>>

Yes - like many Americans, I have a split where "sure" and most of the historical [jU@`] words use [(j)3`], whereas the other words like "moor, poor, tour" use [U@`].
MFK   Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:26 pm GMT
<<Are you a first language English speaker? I've heard of lots of interesting things in Singaporean English, but I don't know much about it.>>

I'm a first language English speaker, native of Singaporean English or Singlish.
Stephen W.   Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:40 pm GMT
<<Yes - like many Americans, I have a split where "sure" and most of the historical [jU@`] words use [(j)3`], whereas the other words like "moor, poor, tour" use [U@`].>>

I'm American and I only have [U@`] in "tour".