Please,rate my English level,which can I get from 1 to 10?

Kevin from China   Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:36 am GMT
Theoretically,I have studied English for about 5 years,I started studying the language the first term when I went to Junior middle school,so soon have the three years of Junior middle school passed by,any I began to realize afterwards that I had lost so much,I had wasted the three years without having done so many things I should have,I then played around all day every day,which led to a neglect of my English learning,(playing seemed to be the sole motif for my life then)however,I liked English even though I didn't learn it well at the time.
In the begining of 2004,the second year of High school,which I thought was the time when I took English learning SERIOUSLY,from then on,I took English learning as one of my daily activities,I tried learning all the things relating to English from newspapers,megazines,and on TV,radio...(By the way,I'd like to recommend a radio program which can be heard on the Internet as well,"GuangDong Tonight",an English show hosted by two domestic DJs and two foreign DJs,it may be quite a common program for native English speakers,but i can make great sense for those who are learning English,,if you are interested in it,just go and take a listen!e.radio-gd.com)You can go to the site for recorded program.
I was wondering that the program might work for me with my Listening comprehension when I first listened to it even though I could hardly understand a single sentence spoken by the DJs at the time,and it turned out to have done so afterwards,I could feel the improvement on Listening comprehension.
Well,for the part of my Spoken English,I was just as poor as a baby that couldn't even produce a complete sentence out of its mouth,for I couldn't find only one man that I could talk to in English,so what I could do is to read aloud to form a sense of speaking.
And my writing,as you can see...may be as poor as my Spoken English...maybe...judged by you.
Well,It's been about 2 years that I have studied the language SERIOUSLY,I want to know how much I have improved,so,please,rate me with the numbers from 1 to 10,Thank you.
And never be afraid of letting me down if you think that I should get a low rate,if so,I will just take it as my energy to further enhance myself.and if I have had some grammatical mistakes,please help point out,especially of Tenses Using,because Tenses Using is the problem confusing me the most for the moment,Thank you again for your attention to my aticle.
Kevin from China   Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:45 am GMT
Modifactons:"it may be quite a common program for native English speakers,but i can make great sense for those who are learning English" to "it may be quite a common program for THE native English speakers,but IT can make great sense for those who are learning English"
zhao   Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:02 am GMT
well done,Kevin .
it is the first time that i meet a brother from china in this forum.i am chinese too.

since you have just learned english for only 5 years,you really did a good job.
Rick Johnson   Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:09 am GMT
I'm not sure that rating your English 1-10 would really tell you much. There are some areas which are better than others. The first paragragraph should have more full stops and there should be a space after a comma e.g.

"Theoretically, I have studied English for about 5 years. I started studying the language the first term........."
Kevin from China   Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:58 pm GMT
Thank you for your reply,it's true rating may not tell something , but I really I want to know my current ability of English, and only in that way can I know that, please give me a rate after finishing the article.
Kevin from China   Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:08 pm GMT
One more modification: "I was wondering that the program..." to "I was considering that the program..."
arrrr   Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:55 pm GMT
nothing
Steve K   Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:25 pm GMT
You express yourself fluently. If you want to write rather than just speak you need to learn to make shorter sentences. Your choice of words is not always appropriate. You cannot say, for example, that "theoretically, I have studied English...". It just does not sound natural. If you studied English then it is no longer theory. I understand what you are trying to say. It would be better to say "You might say that I have studied...."

However, making shorter sentences can be easily learned. Getting a better feel for the way words are used requires more exposure, and especially more reading. What you have is an obvious ability to communicate without hesitation. That is powerful in a language learner.

你对英文学习的热心很值得佩服。我也对语言很有兴趣,出了中文以外还学了九种不同外语。正在学韩国话。你很年轻所以应该继续学语言。你有正确的态度,一定会成功。。
Kevin from China   Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:41 am GMT
It's quite a coincidence that you are Chinese as well,and I am just shocked that you are studying 9 language,really cool,I am wondering when I could do as good as you to study 9 language. you know with only English,I am just about to be get down,so...I really admire you.
Thank you for your advice,I will try doing what you said,but could you please offer more that I was just going to obtain.(and if I have had some grammatical mistakes,please help point out,especially of Tenses Using,because Tenses Using is the problem confusing me the most for the moment)
And don't forget to rate with the numbers from 1 to 10,because this was my initial intention to write the article,you know.
Steve K   Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:03 pm GMT
I am not Chinese. I am an English speaking Canadian. I studied Chinese for 8 months about 35 years ago. I speak both Mandarin and Cantonese, as well as Japanese and a few other languages.

Stop worrying about grammar. Listen and read more. Notice the language. Imitate good phrases. Change most of your commas into periods when you write. Bring that average length of your sentences down to about 10 words. Check out www.lingq.com

Stop worrying about 1 out 10. You shoud know how comfortable you are in using English.
Kevin from China   Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:48 am GMT
I am even convulsed that you are not Chinese and you can speak both Mandarin and Cantonese, as you've just studied the language for 8 months, you know, many foreigners said that Chinese might be the most difficult language to learn for its culture and something else......yuu really did a good job

Well, you said that I didn't need to pay much attention to grammar, but I thought that to master a language must first had a all-round knowledge of grammar, I must take it as a premise,only by doing that could I know what I was reading, and what the sentences I heard meant, right?
I was always told that studing grammar was not so important as reading and listening, but when I encountered some pratical situations, I would have been puzzled for some sentence structures which required a certain knowledge of grammar.

And, you know, Tenses Using, I always hesitate which certain Tense to use when I was writing, I am now wondering what to do to solve the problem......I am anxious about that......
Steve K   Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:02 pm GMT
I suggested you shorten up your sentences, read and listen more and observe the language and stop worrying about grammar. You do not like my advice. What more can I say?
...   Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:12 pm GMT
ลองดูว่าพิมพ์ไทยได้ป่าว
Kevin from China   Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:38 am GMT
Stive K:
I am sorry that what I said made you think I didn't like your advice, well, I accepted your advice acctually, I couldn't accept more as you mastered 9 languages, you know.
You suggested me shorten up the length of my sentences, well, sometimes I really didn't know how to do so even though I wanted, it seemed to depend on the sentences but not my mind, I couldn't control my own sentences well......
Tiffany   Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:26 am GMT
This is your above post Kevin:

I am sorry that what I said made you think I didn't like your advice, well, I accepted your advice acctually, I couldn't accept more as you mastered 9 languages, you know.
You suggested me shorten up the length of my sentences, well, sometimes I really didn't know how to do so even though I wanted, it seemed to depend on the sentences but not my mind, I couldn't control my own sentences well......

This is how it should look:

I am sorry that what I said made you think I didn't like your advice. Well, I accept your advice. Actually, I couldn't refuse it as you have mastered 9 languages, you know.

You suggested that I shorten up the length of my sentences. Well, sometimes I really didn't know how to do so even though I want to. It seems to depend on the sentences but not my mind. I couldn't control my own sentences well.

Kevin: commas stand for a pause then continuing the same thought. Periods stand for an end. You then begin a new thought. You use too many commas and not enough periods. I have corrected the above paragraph with both punctuation and grammar changes.