Caw-fee

Kirk   Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:57 am GMT
<<I don't think you really understood me. For me, ''coffee'' does not share the same vowel as either ''cot'' or ''caught'', but has the vowel in ''cloth'', ''soft'', and ''gone'' i.e. /kQ:fi/. Thus, ''coffee'' is not */kQfi/ for me, but nor is it ''cawfee'' */kOfi/.>>

Oh, sorry, I misread what you said :) That definitely makes sense according to your dialect. Interesting--as I have the same vowel [A] in "coffee" "cot" "caught" "cloth" "soft" "gone" (and "father" for that matter) as I have both the "father-bother" and "cot-caught" mergers.
Lazar   Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:14 am GMT
For me, "coffee", "cot", "caught", "cloth", "soft", and "gone" all have /Q/, but "father" has /A/, since I have the cot-caught merger but not the father-bother merger.

/O/ doesn't exist in my speech, except as a restricted pre-rhotic phoneme (alongside the centering diphthongs /E@/, /I@/, and /U@/, which likewise can only occur before [r\] for me).
Fake Noo Yawka   Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:16 am GMT
I'm going to drink some cawfee and I shua hope it's not going to boin the house down when I make it.
Fake Noo Yawka   Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:20 am GMT
I'm going ovah to Noo Yawk city whea I can find whea I was from. Betta toin on my toin signals.
ahrange juice   Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:16 pm GMT
that's hahribble...
Mandy   Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:18 pm GMT
I don't know why is that New York pronunciations such as: ahrange (for orange) and/or harrible (for horrible) are listed in dictionaries when many times western forms, that are much more wide spread, like caught [kAt], dog [dAg] are not listed...for example in Longman dictionary of American English...
SpaceFlight   Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:14 pm GMT
<<many times western forms, that are much more wide spread, like caught [kAt], dog [dAg] are not listed...for example in Longman dictionary of American English...>>

Mandy,

The cot-caught merger isn't in any way strictly western. I have the merger and I'm from Florida, not the western United States.
Ecko   Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:52 am GMT
Fake, How you doin'

Just so everyone knows NYers stopped saying bird:boyd, turn:toin a long tiem ago. Now its more like Turn:Tuhn
stooge   Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:02 am GMT
why soitenly.all of us stooges talk that way.yuk yuk yuk
Colorado Springs   Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:07 pm GMT
talk is [tak] 4 me
Kelly   Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:46 pm GMT
here in Oregon, it's coffee [kafi]
Guy   Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:18 pm GMT
For me,

coffee /kA(:)fi/ ~ /kQ(:)fi/
cot and caught /kA(:)t/ ~ /kQ(:)t/

coffee, cot, caught, cost, dog, on all share the same vowel /A(:)/ or /Q(:)/(I use them interchangably)