How to shoot this ambiguity?

Fernandes   Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:35 am GMT
There is such an entry in one oxford dictionary reading "Labrado, a coastal region of eastern Canada, forming the mainland part of the province of Newfoundland and Laborado."
To me, the ambiguity lies in this part "forming the mainland part of the province of Newfoundland and Laborado". I mean: what does "the mainland part of" exactly refer to? The mainland part of {the province of Newfoundland and Laborado}? or {the mainland part of the province of Newfoundland} and Laborado? To any one who knows little about Canadian geography, this entry presents puzzling information. What do u think?
Fernades   Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:40 am GMT
agreed with Lazar
Guest   Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:06 am GMT
Labrado: a misprint in the Oxford dictionary?
Josh Lalonde   Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:36 pm GMT
I'm Canadian. Labrador is half of the province of Newfoundland and Labrador (formerly just called Newfoundland). It is the mainland part and borders on Quebec, while Newfoundland is an island.
Guest   Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:01 am GMT
It is clear from context that the province must be named "Newfoundland and Labrador", and probably consists of two parts: Newfoundland and Laborador. Therefore the only possible parsing is: {the province of Newfoundland and Labrador}, even for someone with no knowledge of Canadian geography besides common sense.