"juice"

Mick   Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:25 am GMT
The dictionary lists /dZus/ as the pronunciation of "juice", but I say /dZjus/. Which is most common way it's said in the United States?
User   Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:26 am GMT
The former.
Skippy   Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:51 am GMT
In the United States, "u" is typically pronounced /u/ unless it's word-initial as in the words "usual" or "United States of America." so w/ "tune" we'd say /tun/ rather than /tjun/ and for "news" we'd say /nuz/ instead of /njuz/.
Sho   Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:07 am GMT
Skippy,
The yod is not dropped after /k/ as well, like the word "cute".
Travis   Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:11 am GMT
The yod was only lost in yod-dropping North American English dialects (most of them) after coronals such as /t/, /d/, /s/, /z/, /S/, /Z/, /tS/, /dZ/, /n/, /T/, and /D/; it has been preserved in all other positions, such as after the aformentioned case of /k/. Note that this is separate from yod-dropping after /r/ and /l/, which has occurred in most English dialects, and has only not occurred in Welsh English and possibly some very conservative dialects in, say, England.
Guest   Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:38 pm GMT
I heard a great bit on the spoof chatshow "Knowing me, Knowing you". The show's host, Alan Partridge, was interviewing a New York Jewish comedian. It went something like:

....blah blah blah...

Alan: There are different types of Jews, aren't there Bernie?
Bernie: That's right Alan. There are liberal jews, conservative jews, apple jews, orange jews...
Alan: Now, 'apple jews' - what are they?.
Bernie: Jews Alan, JEWS. It sounds like JUICE.

There is then a pause of about a minute before Alan finally gets it and laughs.
Skippy   Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:31 pm GMT
oh yeah...

Travis got it...lol
Lazar   Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:08 pm GMT
<<The dictionary lists /dZus/ as the pronunciation of "juice", but I say /dZjus/. Which is most common way it's said in the United States?>>

I pronounce it ["dZus] (or more accurately ["dZUus]). I'm pretty sure that the yod-less pronunciation is the more common in the US. However, it's interesting that you bring this up: Kirk, who used to post here, is Californian and has the typical American yod-dropping after alveolar consonants; but I remember he said that he has a yod in "juice", which is /"dZjus/, rather than /"dZus/, for him.
Mick   Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:13 pm GMT
<<I pronounce it ["dZus] (or more accurately ["dZUus]). I'm pretty sure that the yod-less pronunciation is the more common in the US. However, it's interesting that you bring this up: Kirk, who used to post here, is Californian and has the typical American yod-dropping after alveolar consonants; but I remember he said that he has a yod in "juice", which is /"dZjus/, rather than /"dZus/, for him.>>

I'm also Californian. I guess it's not surprising that we both have this pronunciation.
Guest   Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:35 pm GMT
Do Californians pronounce "Duke" dook?.
Mick   Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:47 pm GMT
<<Do Californians pronounce "Duke" dook?.>>

I pronounce "duke" as /duk/. I'd pronounce "dook" the same way.