About Catalan...

Pete   Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:48 pm GMT
We were having a very interesting conversation about Catalan and its similarities with other romance languages, but as this conversation started in a thread that was initiated by a troll, I think they had the whole thread removed.

So I would like to hear your opinions about the Catalan languages where it is spoken, how originated, closeness to other languages, basically similarities with French, Italian or Portuguese. I remember I was able to detect last time...

I suppose that like me, many Spanish speakers feel curiosity about this language, and if you don't here our Catalan friends will enlighten us and show us lots of things we haven't seen before.

You can post in Catalan, since I suppose people following this thread will be mostly Romance language speakers. Besides it's interesting when you understand a language that you don't really know.

Thanks very much in advance.

Kind regards

Pete from Peru

P.S.- Please the rules of the forum are clear, but for those who have forgotten them.

*Don't post anything related with politics, we don't care about politic issues in Catalonia and Spain.

*If you don't like the language or the Catalan culture, by bashing them and wiriting anti-Catalan posts, you won't make Catalans disappear so save energies.

*Basically live, and let live. This is a language forum.

Thanks very much
Des del País Valencià   Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:11 pm GMT
Sóc d'un poble al sud del País Valencià i, ara mateix, no tinc molt de temps per a escriure-vos. Potser ho faça més avant amb més tranqui·litat però dir-vos que el català no tan sols es parla a Catalunya sinó també a la major part del País Valencià, a totes les illes Balears, a una franja prima estreta de l'Aragó, a un bocí de Múrcia i a l'Alguer, una ciutat de Sardenya repoblada, a l'Edat Mitjana per catalans. Al País Valencià el català és popularment conegut com a valencià però és la mateixa llengua. Hi ha difèrencies d'accents i algunes petites diferències de vocabulari. És co-oficial amb l'espanyol o castellà i aprenem aquestes llengües a l'escola.

I'm from a village to the south of the Valencian country and, right now, I don't have much time to write to you. Maybe I will further on when I have more peace but I would like to tell you that Catalan is not only spoken in Catalonia but also in the greatest part of the Valencian country, the Balearic Island, a thin band in Aragon, a small piece in Murcia and in Alghero, a city in Sardinia (Italy) that was resettled by Catalans in the Middle Ages. In the Valencian country, catalan is popularly known as Valencian but we speak the same language. There are differences in accent and some small differences in vocabulary. It is
co-official with Spanish or Castilian and we learn these languages at school.
Gràcies per interessar-vos per la meua llengua.

Thank you for your interest in my language.
Pete   Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:18 pm GMT
Gracias a tí!

Si, me habian comentado que en Valencia se habla tambien el Catalán y que es en algunas cosas algo distinto a otras variedades. En que difiere el 'Valenciano' como le llaman algunos del dialecto hablado en Cataluña.

Que tan distintas son las variedades Dialectales del Catalan? y en como se diferencian?

Pete
Des del País Valencià   Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:11 pm GMT
Amic Pete:

T'envie, en castellà, tota la informació que em demanes sobre el català (valencià). Espere haver-te estat d'utilitat.

Les diferències entre el català i el valencià no són més grans que les que puga haver-hi entre el castellà peninsular espanyol i les modalitats trans-atlàntiques o, de la mateixa manera, entre les modalitats britàniques i americanes.

La diferència principal és entre català oriental (Tarragona, Barcelona, Girona, Perpinyà i les Balears amb capitalitat a Palma de Mallorca) i el català occidental parlat des del Principat d'Andorra, als Pirineus, a Guardamar del Segura, a 35 kms. al sud de la ciutat d'Alacant.

Sóc d'un poble al sud d'Alacant a la frontera sud del català.

A l'escola aprenem la llengua literària que és pràcticament idèntica amb petites diferències de morfologia i, de forma molt moderada, de lèxic que funciona com a sinonímia. De fet, també hi ha diferències entre els parlars valencians i n'hi ha parlars valencians que són més pròxims al que es parla a Catalunya que no pas al que es parla a la ciutat de València.

La intercomprensió és altíssima i, a hores d'ara, es poden veure les televisions catalanes i valencianes en llengua catalana. Aviat (pronto) es podrà veure la televisió balear. Les modalitats balears són més tancades (más cerradas) però les entenem molt bé també.

Passa com en totes les llengües.

La fonètica occidental és més fàcil per a un castellanoparlant que la fonètica oriental. El motiu principal és la presència de la "e" neutra (ë del francès o de l'alemany) en el català oriental.

És una llengua molt viva i, en la major part del territori, és la llengua que més s'ecolta al carrer. A les grans ciutats se sent molt de castellà també.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idioma_catal%C3%A1n
Luc   Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:35 pm GMT
I like the music, but can not understand the spoken words. Funny, I can understand most of what is written in catalan. You guys speak too fast ;)
Luc   Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:36 pm GMT
One nice music I heard here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HxXlkniMn8&mode=related&search=

I have no Idea of what they are saying, but sounds very nice.
Guest   Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:34 am GMT
More Catalan tunes:

-----------------------------

No es nou by Gossos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yODFYULpuY

És per tu--with Spanish subtitles, cheesy lyrics and a sexy couple--by Lax'n'Busto:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9cVQbTUV44

More from the same band (no subtitles):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1XOlcZbb-M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93jV4a-ISEQ

Paraula de senyor--with a couple of young Catalans pretending to sing the song--by Anegats

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9h-_2hfh6c

And let's finish with an oldy for good measures:

Paraules d'amor by Joan Serrat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBnBCsKo6lY
Pete   Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:15 am GMT
Si, genial. Supongo que la 'e' neutra sería un poco dificil. Lo és cuando uno aprende Francés o Inglés... creo que ese sonido se llama 'schwa'.

Y que hay de la pronunciación, cuales son las reglas generales de pronunciación, como lengua romance el Catalán debe tener sus reglas fijas y consistentes para pronunciar, ¿como es?

Espero no sea tan dificil como el Francés.

Saludos

Pete
Joan-Pau   Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:35 am GMT
Catalan is the language that developed from Vulgar Latin on both sides of the Pyrenees (Catalonia, Valencia, Andorra on one side, Roussillon on the other). It developed alongside the langues d'Oc in Southern France (Gascon, Languedocien, Limousin, Auvergnat, Provençal, etc.) so that even today, Catalan and the langues d'Oc are mutually intelligible and are classified (by many linguists) under the Occitano-Romance branch of Romance languages.

"During the Middle Ages, for five centuries (VIII to XIII) of political and social convergence of these territories, there was no clear distinction or separation between the Occitan and the Catalan. For instance, the Provençal troubadour, Albert de Sisteron, says: "Tell me which are better, French or Catalans, and place me among the Catalans, the Gascons, Provençal, Limousins, Auvergnats and Viennois". In Marseilles, a typical Provençal song is called 'Catalan song'. (M. Milà i Fontanals, De los Trobadores en España, p. 487)"
Pere Joan Des del País Va   Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:00 am GMT
I'm the one from the País Valencià. Call me Pere Joan (Peter John):

It is true that Catalan and Occitan are very close. Nevertheless, in the Mediaeval "Regles de Trobar", Catalan is already considered a "lengatge estranh" (llenguatge estrany in Catalan, then and now). We were already considered some sort of "weird dialect".

The differences between Occitan and Catalan are very much the same than between Dutch and German or Spanish (Castilian) and Portuguese, for example.

The accents are quite different, there are some important morphological and syntax differences and vocabulary has also some very important differences.

Així i tot, Joan-Pau té una part de raó (rason en occità) i els catalanoparlants i occitanoparlants podem aprendre les dues llengües veïnes (lengas vesinas) amb una facilitat relativa.

Joan Pau is partly right and Catalan and Occitan speakers can learn both neighbouring languages quite easily.

On the other hand, Catalan is very much alive (great majority of speakers in most of the Catalan territory) whilst Occitan is mainly spoken bu older generations and in villages. The fate of both languages has been very different in the 20th and 21st centuries. Catalan is widely used and heard in Barcelona, Palma and even Valencia (the biggest cities) whilst you can spend years in Marseille or Toulouse and not hear a word of Occitan.

Cultivated Occitan has, in the 20th century, borrowed a lot from contemporary Catalan (due to the relationship between intellectual Catalan and Occitan elites.)
Pete   Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:24 pm GMT
That's very interesting, thank you.

It's very sad to know that Occitan is dying out, I hope they to something to revive the language.

Now, some more questions; I hope they don't sound unclever or clumsy, here you are:

1.-I suppose that due to Geographic location, Occitan must be closer to French than Catalan, is that right?

2.-Can a French speaker without knowledge of those languages understand spoken Catalan or Occitan.

3.-What do you know about the similarity between Catalan and Romanche, from Switzerland, or Catalan and Romanian? As Miquel from Mallorca pointed out they're intelligible to some extent. What do you think? I would really apreciate if you post your experiences.

4.-I've heard from Portuguese people that when you speak, you sound as if you had a Portuguese accent, although you're obviously not speaking Portuguese. Can you understand Portuguese more easily than a person that speakes only Spanish?

5.-Can Portuguese people understand spoken Catalan?

So far, We've learnt a lot of interesting things about Catalan, I wish to thank all those who have helped to gather this valuable info. I would really like you to keep on colaborating with your thoughts about Catalan

Thank you in advance

Pete from Peru

P.S.- Como se dice 'Gracias' en Catalan?
Kelly   Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:07 pm GMT
Catalan have no official norm. People in Valencia will tell you they speak Valencian rather than Catalan.
JGreco   Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:20 pm GMT
"Como se dice 'Gracias' en Catalan?"

"I think it is Gracies"
Guest   Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:39 pm GMT
'Gràcies' or 'merci'
Mallorquí.   Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:26 am GMT
Bon vespre, companys,

Si voleu consultar el Diccionari Català-Valencià-Balear, per altre nom conegut com a l'Alcover Moll, una de les obres principals de la lexicografia romànica, el teniu, gratuïtament, a la vostra disposició:

http://dcvb.iecat.net/

Miquel Adrover - Mallorca

Nota per als hispanoparlants:

Vet aquí els següents dígrafs catalans amb llur equivalència en espanyol:

tx = ch ; ny = ñ ; ll = ll (el ieisme no existeix) ; ig (final) = ch ; ç = s.
A una bona part del territori, la "v" és labiodental, com en portuguès o francès ("beure" (beber) es diferencia de "veure" (ver).. "z" es pronuncia com en portuguès o en francès.

Els fonemes castellans "c" (segons la pronúncia estàndard d'Espanya) i la "j" també espanyola, no existeixen en català. La lletra "c" es pronuncia "s" (davant "e" i "i"), i "j" i "g" (davant "e", "i"), com en francès. "s" entre vocals és sonora, com la "s" del portuguès o del francès. Entre vocals, la "s" sorda (com la del castellà) es grafia "ss".

ix (caixa), com en portuguès. També com en portugués, hi ha zones on la "i" es pronuncia i d'altres on és muda. "Xec" és, en castellà, "cheque", mentre que "txec" és "checo (nacionalitat)".