French in Canada

Ian   Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:33 pm GMT
<< In quebec Franch is the only official language? And what's the status of French in New Brunswich, and in the other states?

Excuse me, for my bad english.... >>

Ciao Ciao!

I reckon in Quebec French is the predominant language, whereas New Brunswick is bilingual.
Guest   Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:37 pm GMT
French is not that predominan in Quebec, if it were, defensive measures like establishing French as the only official language would had not been taken. In Montreal , the biggest city in Quebec there is a thriving Anglophone community and I guess that it will end up being the predominant language in this city.
Milton   Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:52 pm GMT
Here is a nice interview with the Canadian singer Jacynthe. Canada needs more people like her:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1l5gcYcwH_I

She says English is not only spoken by Anglophone Canadians, but it's an international language, so it should be learned and not hated.

Quebec people should get rid of that ''French exclusive'' mentality they inherited from French colonizers. Why separate when you can unite? And English is this union, with the entire world. Think Celine Dion, she would be a forgotten singer from a Quebec city bar if it weren't for the English language.
Milton   Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:55 pm GMT
Jacynthe - This is the Night video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Hod4nn-n0d0

Most Canadian Eurodance (Canadance) is produced in Montreal and Ottawa, but Toronto is the world capital of this kind of music.
Guest   Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:55 pm GMT
"Think Celine Dion, she would be a forgotten singer from a Quebec city bar if it weren't for the English language."

Very true. But I must admit that I like more her songs in French .
Ian   Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:39 am GMT
<< In Montreal , the biggest city in Quebec there is a thriving Anglophone community and I guess that it will end up being the predominant language in this city. >>

Well my X-flatmate went to Montreal to learn English.
Guest   Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:08 am GMT
<< Well my X-flatmate went to Montreal to learn English. >>

Wel my ex-flatmates too learned French in Ottawa, London, New York, Sydney, and Auckland.
Ian   Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:34 pm GMT
<< Wel my ex-flatmates too learned French in Ottawa, London, New York, Sydney, and Auckland. >>

Yes, but in those cities they won't be exposed to everyday French once they step out of their classroom, whereas in Montreal an English learner can practice what (s)he learned in the classroom.

I'm not trying to degrade French here. It's a simple fact that most of the people in Montreal are bilingual. I.e. they are good in both English and French.
Guest   Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:48 pm GMT
And not only that Ian, English is gaining momentum in Montreal, the heart of Quebec itself. haha.
OïL   Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:22 pm GMT
Latino Troll:
"And not only that Ian, English is gaining momentum in Montreal, the heart of Quebec itself. haha."

— Bullshit. Montreal was in majority English speaking at some time in the 19th century, now the metropolitan area is 67,3% francophone.

The English-speaking community complains that it's diminishing in numbers, and in social status. About 38% of alleged Anglos weren't born in Canada, most are from Asia, Africa, Middle East, West Indies.

On the other hand about half of French speakers claim to be more or less bilingual.
Guest   Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:29 pm GMT
Migrants learn English rather than French, the more migrants arrive to Canada, the less people speak French. The Francophones in Quebec have really a difficult situation to deal with, and laws demoting English are simply not enough to stop its increasing importance in Quebec. That many of these Anglophones are born outside Canada has not importance .
sonic   Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:55 pm GMT
I was in Quebec recently. Most of the immigrants I saw were speaking French, including young "visible minority" types. (To use the Canadian euphomism.) And nowadays, the anglophone population in Quebec is the most bilingual in the country.

Besides, you can't judge Quebec just by Montreal. (If you judged the U.S. by Los Angeles, you'd assume that the real growing language is Spanish. And many communities are talking about "English-only" laws--even with English being the "international language.") Outside of Montreal, I had to use French all the time, even though my skills are rather limited.

And don't forget, the other provinces often passed laws severely limiting French schooling to Francophones in the past. Why not criticize the Anglos, why you're at it.
Guest   Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:07 pm GMT
Big cities mark the tendencies that the rest of the country will follow in the subsequent years. So it is important to analyze what happens in them to predict who the rest of the country will en up.
Guest   Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:49 pm GMT
But Montrea is the biggest city in Quebec, right? Maybe it comprises 1/5 of the total Quebecian population.
JLK   Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:55 pm GMT
LOL, another francophone vs. allophone war. Who cares people? Quebec and Montreal are majority francophone. The local government has worked very hard to keep it that way. The english language has literally been the victim of a holocaust in Quebec and the persecution has surprise surprise been successful. Considering that english is the language of business, it's probably going to screw their economy but to each his own.