Is anything missing in this sentence?

Fernandes   Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:51 am GMT
It is wonderful what you can do when you have to.
I guess something is missing between "It is wonderful" and "what you can do" in the sentence above. Right? Its meaning is not quite clear to me. Anyone to explain? Thanks.
Josh Lalonde   Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:35 am GMT
<<It is wonderful what you can do when you have to. >>

There is nothing missing here. It means: "It's wonderful what things you can do when you have to." Hope that helps.
Fernandes   Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:58 am GMT
Still not quite clear to me. Can you paraphrase it in different words?
Skippy   Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:05 am GMT
It's grammatically correct. That's how I'd say it. (except I'd say weird or something instead of wonderful)
Lazar   Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:22 am GMT
The sentence is grammatically correct, but I think my preference would be for "amazing" rather than "wonderful".

Grammatically, "it" is being used as a dummy subject here, introducing the noun phrase "what you can do when you have to".
Fernandes   Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:23 am GMT
Would you plz give me an anlysis of the sentences, Skippy? What does "it" refer to?
Fernandes   Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:29 am GMT
If "it" is a dummy subject, then the sentence can be written as "what you can do when you have to is wonderful", right? But it sounds so awkward.

I have the feeling that the sentence pattern "it is wonderful/surprizing/amazing/fantastic/certain/impossible that" should be followed by a clause, not a noun phrase. Right?
Lazar   Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:21 am GMT
<<If "it" is a dummy subject, then the sentence can be written as "what you can do when you have to is wonderful", right? But it sounds so awkward.>>

Exactly. The dummy subject is used here because the sentence sounds weird without it. As a native speaker, the rewritten sentence strikes me as completely unnatural, and in fact I think it loses its meaning.

<<I have the feeling that the sentence pattern "it is wonderful/surprizing/amazing/fantastic/certain/impossible that" should be followed by a clause, not a noun phrase. Right?>>

If the adjective is followed by "that", then yes, it would have to be followed by a clause.
Geoff_One   Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:10 am GMT
<< It is wonderful what you can do when you have to. >>

Translated:

Necessisty is the mother of invention.