Silly english

Woralla   Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:01 pm GMT
Please why the english so easy? It only take me 4 month to learn this. Lol such basic language. Haha you try learn my language.
Calliope   Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:33 pm GMT
"It only take me 4 month to learn this"

And that is quite obvious.
Guest   Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:18 am GMT
Calliope

What you say? My english is very good, it's not true? Which is your language? I think you're agreeing my english is most good? You think the english is much easy too, yes?
Franco   Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:18 am GMT
It's easy to attain a working knowledge of English, but if you want to appreciate the finer points of this language you will need to dedicate a great many years to studying it. I've spoken English for years yet people can still easily tell that I am a foreigner, even when I am just writing and they can't hear my accent.
Guest   Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:49 am GMT
>>Woralla Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:01 pm GMT
Please why the english so easy? It only take me 4 month to learn this. Lol such basic language. Haha you try learn my language. <<

Then why do you make it look so hard with all those mistakes?
Jimmy Lin   Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:46 am GMT
<<I've spoken English for years yet people can still easily tell that I am a foreigner, even when I am just writing and they can't hear my accent. >>

It's true. Learners' english are always sub-standard. My english is rather straightforward, linear, contrived, predictable and boring which are, obviously, the textbook-english style. Even after many years of reading non-textbooks I am still aren't able to imitate the spontaneous, energetic, colorful and non-linear sentences that characterize those of a native speaker's .What should I do to improve myself?

Having said that, I was surprised that once I was passed off as a Caucasian (I'm Asian) by an American woman. We chatted with each other for days through text messaging (IM). Finally I told her I was an Asian and she replied that she thought I was a Caucasian.
Guest   Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:40 pm GMT
Jimmy Lin

Why should someone be able to discern your race via texting?
Melinda   Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:50 pm GMT
Franco

You should be proud of your English, you're definitely one of the better non-native speakers on here. Mostly your English looks pretty native.
Bruno   Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:46 pm GMT
Woralla! Oh how my sides are rolling with the notion of you mastering this very difficult language. I'm wondering what language you are speaking? I am guessing one of the Slavic languages but don't ask me how I reach this answer, haha! You will see from my writing that I am very skilled in the tongue of these Sceptered Isles and I have been living here 25 years yet am still not as good as these native speakers on estate I live on in Hull.
master of all trades   Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:01 pm GMT
"Please why the english so easy? It only take me 4 month to learn this. Lol such basic language. Haha you try learn my language."

Why is english so easy? It only took me 4 months to learn. Lol such a basic language. Haha try and learn my language. (Translation)

why is english so easy? it only took me 4months to learn this basic language. Try and learn my language.lol (native speaker)

What you say? My english is very good, it's not true? Which is your language? I think you're agreeing my english is most good? You think the english is much easy too, yes?

What are you saying? My english is very good, is it not? What is your language? I think you agree with me that my english is good. Do you agree that english is easy?

What are you saying, that my english isn´t good enough? What language do you speak? I think that you agree with me when I say my english is above par. Don´t you think english is a piece of cake? (native speaker)

Well you can see that you have only 4 months worth of english. Most people that claim that english is so easy end up making a real mess of it. Don´t let the motivation given to you by your teachers go to your head. One thing is motivation another is the truth.
In answer to one of your questions, no your english is not good, but with a good deal more learning you will get there.
Guest   Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:21 am GMT
Just like myself Woralla doesn't seem to be a perfectionist.
Woralla, I want to let you know I'm on your side, buddy. We'll fight together against the "silly English language".
There's no limit to perfection and it makes no sense to follow William Somerset Maugham samples to sum it all up.
Your lonely stand deserve much credit.
Uriel   Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:03 am GMT
<<Having said that, I was surprised that once I was passed off as a Caucasian (I'm Asian) by an American woman. We chatted with each other for days through text messaging (IM). Finally I told her I was an Asian and she replied that she thought I was a Caucasian. >>

She thought you were ... white? ]

Like you can tell that over the internet?

What kind of mor- oh wait: these are the same people who fall for internet dating services and think the woman on the other end of those $2.99/minute lines looks anything remotely like the girl in the ad....
Mikey   Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:34 am GMT
<<
What kind of mor- oh wait: these are the same people who fall for internet dating services and think the woman on the other end of those $2.99/minute lines looks anything remotely like the girl in the ad....>>

Haha, classic.

Sorry, I've nothing to add to this thread.