Which language sounds the worst??

a.p.a.m.   Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:56 pm GMT
Faroe islands. Doesn't sound very appealing. It doesn't sound like much of a travel destination. Faroe islands-far away, where they belong.
BooBooGun   Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:50 am GMT
Amen to that brother...oh I hate those islands so much...do they have a flag we can burn?
Franco   Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:29 am GMT
Let's make an eefigie of that person from Faroe islands and burn it up.

Death to Faroe islands!
Boris   Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:00 pm GMT
I think italian sounds the worst. It is like a butchered french with spanish idioms. I like italian people though, friendly and talkative, but their language is a bad representation of old latin, which was superior to many languages of its time. I think banning italian would be a gesture of friendship to the italian people, for what they will thank us in the years to come.
a.p.a.m.   Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:07 pm GMT
With all due respects Boris, FUCK YOU!!!
Adam   Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:08 pm GMT
"With all due respects Boris, FUCK YOU!!! "

This thread is about what language people think sounds the worst. Boris was giving his opinion.
Adam   Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:25 pm GMT
In my opinion, German is the worst-sounding language. It sounds like a Nazi barking orders at you just when they say something like "I love you."

French is the next worst. I'm saying that not just because I'm British but also because French sounds just like a nasal, Germanicised version of Latin or Italian with virtually every letter of words that end in comments mysteriously not pronounced.

The only foreigners who learn French are either wine-loving snobs or British Europhile Members of the European Parliament who use it to try to impress people.
Adam   Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:26 pm GMT
" that end in comments mysteriously not pronounced. "

That should say "consonants" not "comments".
Calliope   Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:48 pm GMT
"The only foreigners who learn French are either wine-loving snobs or British Europhile Members of the European Parliament who use it to try to impress people."

I am not particularly fond of wine, and definitely not British. Pray tell, Adam, what would that make me? See, I am confused as to my identity after reading your educated comment and I need your wise advice.

(/sarcasm - just in case...)
Calliope   Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:50 pm GMT
"with virtually every letter of words that end in comments mysteriously not pronounced"

Hmm. Kind of like the non-rhotic modern British English, you mean? Of course in that case, you also get the invasive R thingie. I suppose that compensates.
Liz   Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:32 pm GMT
CALLIOPE:

It´s intrusive R. But "invasive" sounds even better! LOL! ;-)
Well, that might be some sort of compensation. Besides, it makes pronunciation easier.

<<French is the next worst. I'm saying that not just because I'm British but also because French sounds just like a nasal, Germanicised version of Latin or Italian with virtually every letter of words that end in comments mysteriously not pronounced.>>

What do you mean by "comments" here?
Does French sound liked that? So does English. Without the "nasalised" bit, of course. Well then? Is that a problem? I don´t think so.

<<The only foreigners who learn French are either wine-loving snobs or British Europhile Members of the European Parliament who use it to try to impress people.>>

I beg your pardon?? As far as I remember, you have learn´t French and are able to speak it after a fashion... Tell me if I´m wrong.
Liz   Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:35 pm GMT
Oh, Adam...I´ve just seen your correction...Then you don´t have to answer one of my questions. You are lucky, dear, very lucky... :-)
Liz   Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:43 pm GMT
Just one more question, Adam. I know you are from Bolton, Lancashire. BUT: Are you rhotic? Just because you seem to have a peculiar aversion towards silent consonants. Or am I on the wrong track?
Calliope   Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:44 pm GMT
@Liz: Intrusive it is. Heheh I was climbing up the walls trying to remember how the heck it is called, and eventually I thought I'd write it anyway and *someone* would get what I meant. :)
Alba   Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:14 pm GMT
Ok lets get this straight, Italian is a beautiful language, some of the best music can only be enjoyed in Italian :-) like Tiziano Ferro. Of course if you dont speak it you're gonna make stupid generalizations cause you're jealous. French is also a pretty language, I dont speak it fluently but French, Spanish, Italian are the most beautiful languages to me besides my native one of course :). and wats with hating the Faroe Islands? lol