Slang for whiskey?

O'Bruadair   Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:34 pm GMT
Well, the thread below about euphemisms and slang for getting drunk got me to thinking (famous last words I know)

What about slang for whiskey or other “adult beverages”?

I’m sure you Micks must have a dozen for Guinness alone (Someone told me once that Guinness was Gaelic for Genius. Is that true?) And yeah I know what you guys say about American Beer (like making love in a canoe. ****ing close to water).

Here are few Southernisms for whiskey; “who-shot-john”, pop-skull, corn squeezins, moonshine (of course), mountain dew, white lightning, lantern fuel, fire starter, anti-freeze, Blackjack (for JD black label)
Riadach   Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:16 pm GMT
<<<<<<<<<<<I’m sure you Micks >>>>>>>>>>>>>> ambaiste.

<<<<<<<<<<<Someone told me once that Guinness was Gaelic for Genius>>>>>>>>>> Nope he's pulling your gullible leg. Guinness is a name, from Macguinness from Mac Aonghusa, meaning son of Aonghus.

My only name for whiskey is jemmies, cause i don't drink any other stuff. Jd is common too, but who would drink that piss. As for guinness, the black stuff is all I heard.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:37 pm GMT
True Scotch - the golden nectar from Scotland - is spelt Whisky - no "e".
(Whiskybae from the Gaelic "uisge beatha" - literally meaning "water of life" - aqua vita - so appropriate - puts hair on your chest - well, for the blokes anyway).

If it has an "e" then it's either Irish or American.
Pub Lunch   Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:01 pm GMT
In my area, Stella Artois or 'Stella' is often referred to as 'wife beater', due to it being quite a strong lager. For whiskey or scotch, I remember a few cockney rhyming slang terms. Gold watch = scotch. I have said it a few times, but it never worked. Erm, I can't remember any others at the moment.

Yeah there are a couple of one liners taking the mick of Budweiser (the American one) which is justified (gnat’s piss is one - actually I think that may be a general term for dodgy lager, not sure). Someone mentioned earlier the black stuff for Guinness.

I quite like Makers Mark, which is a US Bourbon that I think kicks JD's arse; unfortunately it is hard to find in these parts. The two best scotch's that the average bloke can afford have to be Glenmorangie and of the Islay malts, Laphroaig; the best. When in America, I remember Bushmills being ridiculously dear, I never knew why. That's good gear though. I seem to have gone of the topic, sorry.
riadach   Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:08 pm GMT
well some people here, and i do not condone the practice, call heineken heino or ken, and carlsberg probs. i hate it i hate i hate it.
O'Bruadair   Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:30 am GMT
"Someone told me once that Guinness was Gaelic for Genius. Is that true?"

That was a joke