Irish St.Patrick' s day

polly   Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:22 pm GMT
Hi,
I'd like someone to have a look at this few lines I wrote about St. Patrick.
It's not the content which worries me but the English I used I'd like s.o. to correct any possible mistakes I made. It is to be posted on my school's webpage and I want it to be correct.

"Saint Patrick's day is the Irish national holiday. He was chosen Ireland's patron saint after he brought Christianity to the Island.

You can also watch an interesting video about the Saint and the Celts that is not too difficult to understand. They speak pretty slowly and this makes it suitable for lower levels too.

You will find a lot more information about everything that is Irish: beer, potatoes..."
Thanks a lot!
Mike   Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:21 pm GMT
Hi Polly,
Your grammar and everything is fine, maybe a few suggestions to make it a little more flowy?

"Saint Patrick's Day is the national holiday of the Irish, celebrated on March the 17th. Saint Patrick was chosen as Ireland's patron saint after he brought Christianity to the island (or "Green Isle" just for a bit of variation).

You can also watch an interesting video about the Saint and the Celts ("on Youtube" or add a link and say "here") that is not too difficult to understand as they speak quite slowly and clearly, making (or "deeming") it suitable for those of all levels.

A lot more information about everything that is Irish such as beer, potatoes etc. will be found..."

Sorry, I just had an English exam and like, bah.
Riadach   Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:15 pm GMT
Green isle? Don't they produce vegetables? Seriously i've heard emerald isle, but never green isle. And i'd try not to be so stage irishy.

Beer and potatoes, you both should be shot for crimes against irishness :-)
14OR   Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:05 pm GMT
Riadach is right: corny as the term has become, it's "Emerald Isle" in common parlance.

I agree with Riadach about the "beer and potatoes" too. Ouch.
Skippy   Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:22 pm GMT
ST. PATRICK WAS A WELSHMAN!
O'Bruadair   Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:59 am GMT
You Irish correct me if I'm wrong here because I am neither Irish nor Catholic but is it not true that St. Patrick has never been officialily declared a Saint by the church?
Riadach   Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:12 pm GMT
No he has. He's also the patron saint of purgatory and Nigeria. St Brigid however hasn't. But in Ireland we have saints that rome doesn't recognise.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:45 pm GMT
***ST. PATRICK WAS A WELSHMAN!***

True - and apparently he drove all the snakes out of Ireland, which is why Ireland is free of these reptiles. I reckon they all headed for the Pentland Hills just outside Edinburgh!

The English patron St George was also spurious - not English at all - he came from somewhere in the Middle East.

Now someone please tells us where St David of Wales came from.

St Andrew of Scotland is pretty secure in his nationality.....
Riadach   Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:10 pm GMT
No st andrew was a greek surely, when one scottish king went to battle, a cloud formed a broken cross, the cross of saint andrew in the blue sky, and since he one his victory he made st andrew the patron saint. I heard once st david came from Ireland, but its not true, he's as welsh as melted cheese on toast.
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:51 pm GMT
So David is a rarebit then? Wales celebrated it's national day on the 1st of this month - Dydd Gwyl Dewi Sant as the Welsh people call it.

Our own St Andrew - a wee bit shrouded in the mists of history is our boy Andy - from the shores of Galilee is the most likely place he originated, but now enshrined in Scottish heritage - long may that blue and white Saltire flutter above us.

http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/home/scotland/standrew.html

Anyway, tomorrow is St Patricks Day - greetings to all sons and daughters of Ireland wherever they may be in the world.
Mikey   Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:10 am GMT
Oh sorry, my bad, I meant "Emerald Isle".
Guest   Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:32 pm GMT
First time i witnessed Irish people live in a world cup match. They are such lively and fun loving people. Hats off to them for creating a history today at such an important day in a tournamanet like cricket world cup. Good luck to them for playing well in the rest of the event.
Riadach   Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:30 pm GMT
An awful shame then guest, that most Irish couldn't care less about cricket. But still, hats off to them for flying the flag.
Adam   Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:04 pm GMT
"St Andrew of Scotland is pretty secure in his nationality..... "

Yep, although St Andrew was from the Middle East, not Scotland.
Adam   Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:11 pm GMT
The only one of the 4 Home Nations whose patron saint was actually from their nation is St David of Wales. He was born in Pembrokeshire in South East Wales on 1st March 589 AD.

Scotland's St Andrew was born in Bethsaida, east of the River Jordan, which is probably in modern day Israel.

England's St George was born in Lydda, Palestine circa 270 AD. He's also the patron saint of Canada, Catalonia, Ethiopia, Georgia (and Georgia's flag is similar to England's), Greece, Montenegro and Serbia.

Ireland's St Patrick, if he were alive today, would either be an Englishman or a Welshman (his exact birthplace is unknown) but he was definitely born somewhere in Roman Britannia.