English is tough stuff

Roger   Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:58 am GMT
Pawel

Thanks for your nice reply.

I judge, from your perfect English, that your accent surely must sound pretty cool. I can only imagine it as masterly. I have a hard time believing that this may not be the case.

You may be right about the benefits of the early start in language learning as people tend to have less of a foreign accent if they begin speaking at an early age. This, however, is not a hard and fast rule. I have heard of people getting to speak without an accent when they were well beyond their teens.

As for me, I have started working on American pronunciation on my own since the traditional [formal] schooling doesn’t offer any chance of improving one’s accent. I have tried out several ways of working on my pronunciation. Some of them work for me fairly well. Here’s how I deal with this problem:

I keep marking the pages in my mono-lingual dictionary with the colorful and neatly cut post-it-stickers. The dictionary shows both British and American pronunciation symbols. As I leaf through the book in searching for a word, those stickers make it easy and quickly for me to access the so called my own [US] pronunciation entries. These, I keep highlighting with the pink color. So any time, I consult my dictionary I also review the pronunciation entries in a random manner. The idea of marking the pages, to some extent, helped me get into the habit of studying the American accent.

With my mp3 player I do a lot of listening. I download radio shows or podcasts for ESL learners. My favorites are webtalkguys, the internet radio [www.webtalkguys.com] and English as a second language podcast [www:eslpod.com]. They are generally a great listening experience. I listen whenever I can. For example, when listening in a car, I can speak to myself aloud. This enables me at least to speak comfortably, without anyone hearing me. If done regularly, I believe this can give a lot of speaking practice.

The online dictionary [preferably, with the downloadable voice sample option] is my next favorite. I very often go to the Merriam -Webster Online Dictionary to check out various patterns. I keep reviewing them on a daily basis. In fact, I will do with the Merriam -Webster Dictionary to get through your poem if “Myself” fails to deliver his recording.

Hope this gives some insight into my ways of improving American accent.
Pawel
Pawel   Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:01 pm GMT
hi there Roger...
could you provide me with your email address ?
Roger   Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:34 pm GMT
Pawel

You can write to me at pawelnowak11@wp.pl
Guest   Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:01 pm GMT
Roger, nice links there for listening. It seems to me that you are very advanced in the language. Your writing suggests so. Keep it up!
Guest   Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:04 pm GMT
Roger, how do you overcome your laziness and keep going with the same motivation and energy? my mind is getting into a comfortable zone and taking things for granted and I am not having the same motivation right now then I had when I kickstarted my learning from scratch.
Devin   Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:38 am GMT
I have a Microphone and I am willing to read this poem but I am not american, I am Canadian. I will try to get this done as soon as possible
Roger   Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:02 pm GMT
Guest,

It’s a good question. Frankly, I don’t know the answer to it. I think one way is to get your love ones to know how important the English language is to you. Make English part of you and see the benefits from learning it.

Roger
Guest   Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:27 pm GMT
Devin

If you are Canadian, that sounds even better. I actually prefer Canadian accents over American ones. Good Luck.