Lexical similarities between Italian & Portuguese

Rolando   Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:46 pm GMT
I just want to know what is the Lexical similarities between Italian & Portuguese, many people & pages say taht its 0%, Iv noticed some words that Italian & Portuguese Share... I mean if Spanish & Portuguese are 89% alike lexical, and Spanish & Italian are 82%, wouldent Portuguese have some percentage with Italian...

PO: Morto
IT: Mortp

PO: Porta
IT: Porta

PO: Corpo
IT: Corpo

PO: Fortuna
IT: Fortuna

PO: Mar
IT: Mare
Kendra   Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:42 pm GMT
1. fortuna means ''luck'' in Italian, but ''wealth, fortune'' in Portuguese,
so that's a false friend...''luck'' is said SORTE in Portuguese
(Buona fortuna = Boa sorte = Good luck!)

2.: Morto, corpo are direct forms from vulgar Latin, but pronunciation is different,

morto and corpo have closed stressed vowel in Portuguese, but open vowel in Italian. It would sound strange to hear morto/corpo with a closed vowel in Italian or morto/corpo with an open vowel in Brazil and Portugal...so these two are pronounced differently (and in Brazil it's more like ['mohtw], ['kohpw] while in Italian is ['mOrto], '[kOrpo])
Guest   Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:57 pm GMT
PORTUGAL:

Mais vale tarde que nunca - written

Mort / Corp / Quatr / Set / Nov - written

Obrigado - written

*Mais val tard que nunca - pronounced

*Morto / Corpo / Quatro/ Sete / Nove - pronounced

*Obrigád

BRAZIL:

A'gua mole em pedra dura, tanto bate alé que fura. - written

Morto / Corpo / Quatro / Sete / Nove -written

Obrigado - written

*Agua moli em pedra dura, tant bach al que fura. - pronounced

*Morti / Corpi / Quatru / Sechi / Novi -pronounced

* Obigadom - pronounced

Personally, I like how Portuguese of PORTUGAL sounds like. Brazilian sounds too lazy.
Guest   Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:59 pm GMT
Portugal

Morto / Corpo / Quatro/ Sete / Nove - written
Mort / Corp / Quatr / Set / Nov - pronounced

correction^
Rolando   Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:01 am GMT
Good information, but no, what is the lexical similariti...?
Observant   Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:21 am GMT
"Suppore" and "Supor"
"Verme"
"Vergogna" and "Vergonha"
"Cane" and "Cãe"
"Strada" and "Estrada"

Besides the syntax or word order of the two languages are closest to each other than to any other Romance languages in my own opinion.
a.p.a.m.   Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:46 pm GMT
Kendra, "buona sorte" means "good luck" in Italian. "dead" in Italian, is pronounced "morte".
Guest   Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:25 pm GMT
Hi everyone!! italian and portouguese have a lot of lexical similarities (reading the same text written in portouguese and italian you can of course notice that)...I'm italian and when I hear a portouguese speaking I can understand quite good if he (or she) is talking a standard portouguese and if speaking not too fast...sometime I can not understand every single word, but of course I can understand the meaning....
And what about you? what is your experience and idea about italian- portouguese intellegibility?
a.p.a.m.   Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:43 pm GMT
I've heard Portuguese being spoken and it sounds like French.
From Faroe   Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:55 pm GMT
APAM, my dear friend, how are you?? you attacked me (in the other forum)....but I'll tell you again, and I'll tell it in every forum of antimoon....ITALIAN IS A STUPID LANGUAGE BECAUSE IT'S TO EASY AND EVERYONE (but really everyone, even an idiot as you are) CAN UNDERSTAND IT....show me that it is not true and I'll apologize whit you and italian people, then (for your joy) I'll leave this forum
a.p.a.m.   Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:29 pm GMT
"even an idiot as you are" HA HA HA HA, sticks and stones pal, sticks and stones. From Faroe, do me a favor. Don't leave Faroe. Remain. The world will be a better place.
Guest   Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:43 pm GMT
Italian:
sfortuna!
che sfortuna!
buona fortuna!

Spanish:
mala suerte
¡qué mala suerte!
¡buena suerte! o ¡buena fortuna!

--->

Suponer:
to suppose / assume / entail / imply

Fortuna:
feminine-mostly fortune; luck; {*por fortuna*} luckily

Estrada:
feminine-road, highway. = Used a lot in southern Mexico (yucatan etc)

Vergüenza:
Shame, shyness, bashful.

Can:
Dog -zoology and formal.
Faroe   Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:10 pm GMT
Dear APAM
You were not able to show me tath what I say is not true....so, anyway, you admitted I am totally right!!!
Anyway....why fight?? That's not our problem....The problem is for italian speakers...
PS: Do not worry, I won't leave my island at moment...my students need me, but I think I'll leave next summer for a journey....mmm....probabily I'll visit Italy (IOL IOL IOL)
PPS: Would you like to visit my country?? It's a beautiful place...tell me if so!
a.p.a.m.   Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:15 pm GMT
Faroe, I don't live in Italy, I'm an American. Let me just tell you that your English is terrible. So, if you don't speak or spell English very well, it is highly doubtful that you know anything about Italian. Goodbye, and have a good time in Faroe.
Observant   Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:01 am GMT
Whenever I look at a multi-lingual manual, I usually compare Spanish, Italian, and Portuguese. I noticed that the syntax or the order of the words in Italian and Portuguese always parallel which puts Spansih out of place.

Sometimes Spanish and Italian use the same cognate sometimes Spanish and Portuguese and Sometimes Italian and Portuguese.