Berk!

Lee   Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:44 pm GMT
My proposal to use "Berk!"

It's not an English word (yet), but I propose to use it as an alternative to "hello" and "hi".
I think it sounds cool and dynamic.
You can pronounce it like "jerk" (rhotic accent!) with "b" instead of "j" or perky (without the "y" and "b" instead of "p")... you get the idea.
You can say it in many different variations, like "long and strong" or "short and unstressed". In my opinion, it would be a linguistic "plat exquis".

Example:
Person A: "Berk!"
Person B: "Berk! How's it going?"

So how about it, are you in with me?
Would it be feasible to turn this into a worldwide movement (for example by setting up a website www.letsberk.org?)

I'd appreciate your comments.
John   Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:48 pm GMT
WTF?!
Eric   Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:55 pm GMT
Not surprisingly, the website www.letsberk.org doesn't exist.

Let's be nice to Lee a little though: Berk Lee! What's up? :-)
Lee   Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:02 pm GMT
I don't wish to be ridiculed. I didn't say that the website already exists, but I might create it in the near future.

Berk, Eric!
Pub Lunch   Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:11 pm GMT
Eh??..I don't think I follow you mate. But trust me - if you knew what berk meant here in England you may have a different view of the word. Let me you give you a hint sunshine, berk is an abbreviation for 'Berkshire hunt' which in good ole Cockney rhyming slang is another word for *$@!. Lets just say in England, being a berk is not good.
Lee   Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:24 pm GMT
Oh. I've just looked up the meaning of "berkshire hunt"...
I didn't realize that...
Looking at it from that perspective, I think I have to retract my proposal. Of course, "Berk!" as a universal greeting would have to be used worldwide...

Sorry, folks! I'll think of something else.
(But sometimes, if you have a really brilliant idea, you have to tell others about it.)
Andy   Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:57 pm GMT
LOL. Lee, not your best idea. Pub Lunch, I'm goin for a ruby. laters.
Guest   Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:32 pm GMT
Hahaha!!
Pub Lunch   Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:52 pm GMT
I feel bad now Lee!! Actually mate, give your quirky idea some time. The use of berk is dying out (I think). Enjoy the Ruby Andy - I'm about to do the same!! You know it is Friday night in England.
Josh Lalonde   Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:32 pm GMT
What's wrong with hello, hi, good morning, etc.?
Rick Johnson   Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:06 pm GMT
What a berk!
J Arthur   Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:45 pm GMT
HAHAHA
Guest   Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:30 am GMT
That's so funny... :-)
Rodders   Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:40 pm GMT
You aving a giraffe, maate?
Trigger   Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:44 pm GMT
I agree with Dave.