Which is closer to Latin

JGreco   Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:27 pm GMT
"JGreco Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:55 pm GMT
That was not me. But I'm flattered since you like my name so much..........."

Você é um menteiroso. Eu sou ele verdadero.
Guest   Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:42 pm GMT
<<But one could say out of all the other Germanic languages that English is the farthest away in intelligibility to all the other Germanic languages due to its special evolution and influences from many different languages. I'm a native English speaker and if I read a phrase from most of the other Germanic languages I might be able to pick out a few words or be able to understand 3-5% of whats said by I still wouldn't be able to understand the other Germanic languages despite being related by Syntax or Morphology. If you compare the Frisian-Afrikaans-Dutch-German or Swedish-Norwegian-Danish -Icelandic (a little bit farther off from the other three) intelligibility compared to English which is way further off from the rest.>>

Yeah maybe you are right, but saying that even Languages as similar as the Romance languages have their black sheep. I doubt a Spaniard would to be able to understand much of what a Frenchman or Romanian says in their own tongue.
Guest   Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:18 pm GMT
Now we are beyond the confines of the reality!!!
Tell that scientific words are not Latin and Greek based (while even the children know that) BUT germanic!!!...ops sorry ... I've just seen a flying sheep...
Guest   Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:42 pm GMT
fyi...
I have made several posts using the name "Guest", but I see that there are several others out there, albeit which may 'sound' like me, but are in fact someone else.

be forewarned--this isn't new--but someone is playing around...
JGreco   Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:21 am GMT
First of all I am not lying about this name because anybody who visits the wordreference website knows that this has always been my screen name. At least that website requires validation of your name including a password which I do think that antimoon needs. By the way this is my screen name because Greco is part of my last name and who ever wrote that above in portuguese must know that I understand portuguese because I am 1/2 Brazilian otherwise they would have not written that in portuguese
I hate alter egos!   Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:44 am GMT
http://forum.wordreference.com/member.php?u=62553

This fellow fits SERGIO's description. Could it be that JGreco and Sergio are the same person?

Sergio: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:35 pm GMT
No soy del D.F., vivo a 30 min. del límite con Jalisco, y tengo familia en Jalisco. Una prueba más de tus prejuicios... (Es decir: Guanajuato, carretera 45, 8.28 miles aproximadamente)

http://www.antimoon.com/forum/t6551-30.htm
Guest   Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:20 pm GMT
<< Now we are beyond the confines of the reality!!!
Tell that scientific words are not Latin and Greek based (while even the children know that) BUT germanic!!!...ops sorry ... I've just seen a flying sheep...>>

Who said scientific words were Germanic? As far as I can tell, it said that German coined scientific words from Latin/Greek sources. Doesn't say anything about them being Germanic. Don't people read things properly on here?
guest   Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:48 pm GMT
{{<< Now we are beyond the confines of the reality!!!
Tell that scientific words are not Latin and Greek based (while even the children know that) BUT germanic!!!...ops sorry ... I've just seen a flying sheep...>>

Who said scientific words were Germanic? As far as I can tell, it said that German coined scientific words from Latin/Greek sources. Doesn't say anything about them being Germanic. Don't people read things properly on here? }}

To a lot of people on here, any word that touches Latin/Greek is a Latin word, whether it's origin is Latin or not (ueber-Latin-bias). So for instance, Spanish "jabon", Italian "guardia", French "riche" and "blanc", are
all Latin words

(even though they're not)
Guest   Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:41 pm GMT
"But would you say that German is predominantly Latin derived? "

I guess that if we count all the latin-drived words in German, we would arrive to a majority too as in English... In usual speak that's another thing... in both of them only a small part is latin-dirived.
Guest   Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:48 pm GMT