love dancing / to dance

Mela   Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:59 pm GMT
Hi everyone!

Which of these is more correct?

I love to dance. (1)
I love dancing. (2)

My teacher says (1) is American English; and (2) is British usage. Is it true?
What do you think?

Many thanks
Jim   Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:17 am GMT
They are both equally correct. I'm not aware of any British/American difference in preference.
Humble   Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:25 am GMT
My grammar books say, that it's better to use the Gerund in short sentences and the infinitive in longer ones.
I love reading.
I love to read papers at breakfast.
Guest   Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:36 am GMT
Is there any reason behind that logic?
Guest   Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:36 am GMT
Your grammar book just made that up. "I love reading the paper at breakfast." is what you should say. I find it funny that your book said "papers" instead of "the paper" as well. Maybe you should consider getting a new one.
Humble   Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:21 am GMT
"I find it funny that your book said "papers" instead of "the paper" as well. Maybe you should consider getting a new one."
It wasn't a quotation from the book, guest, so the mistake isn't the proof of the incorrectness - in your view - of the infinitive vs gerund statement.
The book doesn't provide any reasons for that preferance, it's focused on practical grammar.

It would be interesting to compare similar sentences in terms of frequency.
My mistake was due to a calque from Russian. The book, by the way, does use "the newspaper" - I remember wondering why; it could be any paper, I thought then. But it's a different issue.
Buddhaheart   Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:12 am GMT
I’ve looked up 3 British grammar books. 2 of them say it makes no difference. One of them does indicate while BE generally uses “I love dancing”, “I love to dance” is equally common in America.
Guest   Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:49 am GMT
You do not have to listen to what the grammar book says all the time.
Andy   Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:21 pm GMT
I'm British and I use both so I wouldn't think someone was foreign if they said "I love to dance".