What is so similar between the UK and France ?

Guest   Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:13 pm GMT
Why it seems so many people think (especially English-speaking) these countries are almost identical to each other, and culturally very similar ?

What is precisely supposed to be so similar ?
Rizzeck   Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:15 pm GMT
Very good question. I was surprised to find that there are relatively few French speaking Brits in England.
Andrew   Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:44 pm GMT
I don't think they are too similar, I mean, I always thought they hated each other!
Adam   Tue May 15, 2007 6:55 pm GMT
"What is so similar between the UK and France ?"

The English Channel.
Guest   Tue May 15, 2007 6:59 pm GMT
" "What is so similar between the UK and France ?"
The English Channel. "

I don't think so. both sides are quite different. The "English channel" does'nt even exist in France, but "La manche"...
Guest   Tue May 15, 2007 7:36 pm GMT
The Entente Cordiale gives the English and French a "special relationship" after years of fighting. They still stick fiercely to their differences, and the rivalry built after the many wars between the two still exists, but at the end of the day the two countries are close allies.

Just my take on the situation as a Canadian!
Guest   Tue May 15, 2007 7:49 pm GMT
@Rizzeck

That's not surprising to me. I think the majority of native English speakers all over the world doesn't have any ambition to ever learn a foreign language in their life, as English is a kind of world language.
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed May 16, 2007 10:22 am GMT
England and France even look a lot different from each other, even though they are separated by such a narrow strip of water, and you can see one from the other quite clearly on a clear day especially. You'd never imagine that such a short distance would separate such different worlds.....on one side all the pure white cliffs of England rising up out of the choppy waters of the English Channel and on the other the totally differently coloured and smaller cliffs rising up out of the equally choppy waters of La Manche. With powerful binoculars you see cars on the cliff top roads driving on the left on one side, and on the right on the other.

As for Language.......21 miles of muddy grey waters separates a strict adherence to English and a strict dismissal of French on one side, and an even more strict adherence to French and an even more vehement rejection of English on the other. Vive la difference! Vive l'Entente Cordiale!
Guest   Wed May 16, 2007 11:28 am GMT
I've never thought such a crap
A-D   Wed May 16, 2007 11:37 am GMT
A proverb for France and England?
Latin:
"Ejusdem farinae, Que bene amat, bene castigat
Français:
"De la même farine, Qui aime bien, châtie bien"
English:
"The same root, Spare the rod and spoil the child."
Adam   Wed May 16, 2007 6:54 pm GMT
" The "English channel" does'nt even exist in France, but "La manche"... "

It does exist, but they have a French name for it.
Adam   Wed May 16, 2007 6:55 pm GMT
"but at the end of the day the two countries are close allies. "

Yeah, the French showed how great "allies" they are to their next-door neighbours by opposing the overthrow of an evil, despotic, crazed dictator in 2003.
Guest   Wed May 16, 2007 7:22 pm GMT
>Yeah, the French showed how great "allies" they are to their next-door neighbours by opposing the overthrow of an evil, despotic, crazed dictator in 2003.<

To whom are you referring?
A-S   Thu May 17, 2007 7:25 pm GMT
Adam's "sh"itations.
Hutch   Thu May 17, 2007 10:18 pm GMT
To whom are you referring? Saddam Hussein?