German language

language learner   Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:26 am GMT
I want to learn a new language. I am interested in German. I am a zero beginner. I have not heard or read a single word in the language but I have motivation and passion for learning a new language. I dont know how I should go on learning the language. How to initiate things? What books, audios, or courses do you want to recommend to me?
What would be the best method for me to kickstart things? I dont live In Germany. I live in South Asia. I can not find German materials in hordes but still I can find some basic stuff. So guys, give me your tips.

Thank you.
language learner   Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:46 pm GMT
any takers?
Andrew   Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:12 pm GMT
The best way to learn German is to be exposed to it. To find German materials you should go on Amazon.com.
german ?   Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:50 pm GMT
how much is German different from the other central European languages such as French ?
Guest   Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:13 pm GMT
it's very different from the Romance languages
Guest   Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:49 am GMT
Since you speak English, you should not find German too difficult to learn. It is more grammatically complex, but you should be able to pick up the basics rather quickly.
Guest   Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:00 pm GMT
<< how much is German different from the other central European languages such as French ? >>

The difference?
German is a germanic language as English, Suedish, Dutch...
French is a romanic language as Spanish, Italian, Portuguese...
Guest   Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:29 pm GMT
<<
<< how much is German different from the other central European languages such as French ? >>
>>

Well, being that you are a South Asian (Indian subcontinent?), the differences between Romance and Germanic may seem slight to you, even if your mother tongue is Indo-European. (To us, Romance and Germanic are bigger deals, because we are closer to the situation. Viewed from a more distant point, the differences would seem insignificant--you might think they are both the same--like the way Persian/Farsi and Kashmiri might seem similar to us.)

Although they started out rather distinct, Germanic and Romance have mutual degrees of cross-influence, having grown up together side by side for many hundreds of years. They're basically the same when viewed from a linguistically neutral point of view.