"A" in "car" and in "PASS"

nick   Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:41 pm GMT
A couple weeks I ask a question about the "a" sound in "CAR" and "o" in "hot", I find out that's different, but I also find out that it's just different in back east, maybe it's same in the rest of the states.
so "A" in "car" and in "PASS" sound same?just like "father", if that's same, give me more example words, thanx!
Al   Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:09 pm GMT
''car'' and ''pass'' don't share the same vowel sound for me. In my New York accent they are:

car - /kA@R/

pass - /pe@s/

Note that I have a tense-lax ''a'' split in my accent and ''pass'' has the tense vowel while ''trap'' has the lax vowel for me. ''bath'' similarly has the tense vowel.
Uriel   Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:16 pm GMT
No, car and pass are different for me. Car is a long a and pass has a short a. (Or whatever we're calling them these days.)
Buster   Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:23 pm GMT
They don't share the same vowel for me. I pronounce ''pass'' as /pas/ and ''car'' as /kAr/. We tend not to have the trap-bath split here in Northern England. That's more of a Southern English thing.
Tiffany   Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:16 pm GMT
From Florida - No, they don't share the same vowel for me.
Damian in Scotland   Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:27 pm GMT
Virtually the same sound in Edinburghspeak. Not like the short sharp "d@ft as a b@t" of Northern England or the "pa:ss me your gla:ss" of Southern England......something more in between.

The Southern English long A as in ['pa:ss] ['gla:ss] and ['tra:nce] has been done to death in this Forum.
SpaceFlight   Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:55 pm GMT
Also from Florida - They have different vowels for me.

pass - /p{s/

car - /kAr/
Al   Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:56 pm GMT
<<car - /kA@R/>>

Typo.

car - /kA@r/
wyoming   Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:32 pm GMT
car like star pass like gas
nick   Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:03 am GMT
Thanx!so "car" is different to "pass". Does "A" in "father" sounds similar to "a" in "car", just without the "r" sound?
Uriel   Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:05 am GMT
Yes.
nick   Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:10 am GMT
Thanx,Uriel
Jim   Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:46 am GMT
Same for me: /k6:/ & /p6:s/.
webtom   Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:59 am GMT
Same vowel for me.