Nadie es pendejo, ¡carajo!

Xatufan   Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:24 pm GMT
1) We all now that "pendejo" is an evolution of the Vulgar Latin word "pectiniculus", which means "little pubic hair". Is there any cognate of "pendejo" in any other Romance language?

2) Is there any cognate of "nadie" in ant other Romance language? (With the same meaning of "nobody", of course).

3) What is the origin of the Spanish word "carajo" and the Catalan word "carall"?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for my bad English.
Naldo   Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:46 pm GMT
Is there any cognate of "nadie" in ant other Romance language? (With the same meaning of "nobody", of course).
3) What is the origin of the Spanish word "carajo" and the Catalan word "carall"?

While I am not familiar with the expressions for the size of pubic hair,
I can tell you that in Portuguese nadie, niente (It) , nobobody , is ninguem or nada in perhaps the same sense. We also have caralho.
Maybe this helps to find cognates or origines.
Guest   Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:56 pm GMT
""We all now that "pendejo" is an evolution of the Vulgar Latin word "pectiniculus"""

Do we all?!
Xatufan   Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:12 pm GMT
Thanks Naldo.

The word "pendejo" does not refer to the size of the pubic hair. It is a strong word which means something like "idiot", but even worse. It originally meant "pubic hair".

Vulgar Latin used lots of words with the diminutive ending "-culus". Thus, our word "abeja", and the Portuguese "abelha" come from the Vulgar Latin word "apicula", which literally means "small bee". The same thing with "pendejo": "pectiniculus" was actually the diminutive of the word "pecten" (pubic hair).
Tiffany   Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:18 pm GMT
I can't help you with one or three as I don't know in etiehr case.

For two, the Italian say "nessuno" for nobody, but this word can also be an adjective, opposite of the English "some". No house = Nessuna casa.
Xatufan   Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:28 pm GMT
Thanks.

I think I didn't explain well the second question. What I wanted to ask is if there's any Romance language other than Spanish that uses an evolution of the Latin word "nati" ("born", masc. pl.) to say "nobody".
Tiffany   Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:47 pm GMT
Oh! Well, not Italian then :)
Tiffany   Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:48 pm GMT
Nice to see you back by the way.
French   Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:55 pm GMT
"con" en Français
yo   Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:38 pm GMT
Según la RAE carajo es de origen incierto
Xatufan   Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:36 am GMT
French "con" is related to Spanish "coño", as in "cunnilingus".

"Con" is a bad word in French, but in Spanish it is OK, as is the Latin word "cum" which is a bad word in English. Weird...

I'm a fan of Patricia Hearst, BTW.
Geoff_One   Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:44 am GMT
<< "Con" is a bad word in French >>

Not so good in English.

Con artist
Con man
Con woman
Xatufan   Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:46 am GMT
Geoff_One   Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:46 am GMT
con short for confidence trickster
Xatufan   Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:49 am GMT
Sure! I'm a fan of Patricia Hearst, BTW.