Pygmalion

Josh Lalonde   Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:01 pm GMT
Liz, I certainly wouldn't have guessed that you weren't British. How long have you been speaking English? I haven't heard you speak, but your writing is at a native level, since none of us guessed it. Very impressive.
Liz   Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:24 pm GMT
Thanks. :-)

About 13 years -- what a lucky number!
Uriel   Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:32 am GMT
Nope, never noticed! So where in central Europe are you from?
Liz   Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:42 am GMT
From Hungary.
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:00 am GMT
Hungary - it's capital city BUDAPEST is a jewel - a priceless architectural gem - two sister cities (Buda and Pest) facing each other across the blue Danube. Just typing this exudes romantic notions.....I fancy a sip or two of sweet Tokay right now even though it's only 11am!

One of the most amazing things I learned at school was that Hungarian and Finnish are two related Languages! Who'd have thought it - one country in the frozen European north and the other in the balmy European Balkans!
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:05 am GMT
Oh - my mistake - Hungary is north of the Balkans isn't it? Of course it is - silly me! Sorry, LIZ. Central Europe it is! We went through Budapest on our coach journey from Scotland to Romania to see the total eclipse of the sun in August 1999.
Liz   Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:47 pm GMT
DAMIAN:

Yes, it definitely is! I'd be glad to offer you an imaginary glas of Tokay wine if I currently weren't livining in Germany. You can't really find this particular one in the shops here. I have seen Kékfrankos and Egri (a beautiful town, too) Bikavér but not Tokay. Probably I have to look more carefully next time... :-)

The two languages belong to the same language family. The most beliveable of all theories is this, however, there are many people who are eager to prove that it isn't true. Finnish and Hungarian aren't mutually comprehensible, but there are a plenty of words that are similar to eachother or almost the same in both languages.

Oh yes...Balkans are a bit off...However, compared to Fins or even to Germans or Brits we are southern types of people.

What did you do in Budapest, by the way?
Uriel   Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:21 am GMT
My stepmother was originally from Budapest. Lived in Germany thirty years, now resides in Albuquerque. Has serious rejection issues with her Hungarian identity.

Now that you mention it, I may remember a similar conversation from many, many months ago....
Guest   Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:48 am GMT
Uriel, where did your first mom come from originally?
Liz   Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:59 am GMT
<<Has serious rejection issues with her Hungarian identity.>>

What do you mean by that?
Guest   Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:15 am GMT
It means that she was denying the fact that she had no Hungarian heritage linked to her.
Liz   Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:05 am GMT
I understand the meaning but I'd like to know the whys and wherefores of her behaviour (if I'm not presumtious).

What you say, Guest, is just the opposite: if she denies that she has no Hungarian heritage, she claims that she DOES have a Hungarian identity. :-)
Liz   Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:08 am GMT
eachother = each other
Balkans = the Balkans
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:19 pm GMT
LIZ: Sorry again for Balkanising Hungary.

Our time in Budapest was very, very limited - it just happened to be on the route of our long overland trek by coach from Edinburgh all the way down to Romania where the total eclipse of the sun on 11/08/99 was perfect in a cloudless sky - what an amazing experience - day turned to night at 14:00hrs local time - in the UK it was spoilt by cloud - surprise, surprise. On the outward journey we sort of bypassed the city just to the south, but heading for Vienna on our return journey back to the UK (one long hop from Bucharest to Vienna including overnight travelling) it was agreed by the teachers and the team of drivers to go into Budapest itself to have a proper look at it. It looked really beautiful and it was our first glimpse of the mighty Danube. After that heading for Vienna we kept crossing and recrossing the Danube (or Donau as all the signs indicated). The Danube (Donau) was disappointing in one way only - it wasn't blue at all!
Liz   Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:05 pm GMT
<<After that heading for Vienna we kept crossing and recrossing the Danube (or Donau as all the signs indicated).The Danube (Donau) was disappointing in one way only - it wasn't blue at all!>>

No probs, Damian, I have got used to being "Balkanised". ;-)
It still isn't so serious a "crime" as mixing up Budapest with Bucharest or assuming that no-one receives primary and secondary education in Hungary.
I could tell you stories about that...

The signs indicated "Donau"...that's interesting. They might be expecting German tourists only, or they expect all tourists to be German-speaking. It's basically "Duna" in Hungarian, "Donau" in German and "Danube" (of course) in English. There is a Hungarian radio station called "Danubius" named after the Danube.

Sadly enough, the "blue Danube" is only a myth as Hungary isn't famous for being particularly environment-friendly.