Regional vocabulary differences

SpaceFlight   Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:40 pm GMT
<<Florida:

Soda for the carbonated beverage.

Pop is short for Lollipop, but we used lollipop mostly.

Water fountain for the fountain you drink water out of.

I am unaware of any other terms we use that are unique to Florida, but maybe I'll remember some later.>>

I'm also from Florida and I use the terms the same way as you do. None of those terms are really unique to Florida.
Frances   Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:44 pm GMT
Rick - same here overall. Jelly is a gelatine based dessert here that is made by mixing crystals with water and then it hardens. I don't know the difference between conserve and preserve either
Tiffany   Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:13 pm GMT
SpaceFlight,
I did not mean they wre unique to Florida, I was just answering Lazar's question :)

Since other people were offering up other words that were had different in different regions, I was trying to think of some as well, so that comment was meant in terms of that.

Where in Florida are you from SpaceFlight? I no longer live in Florida, but since I grew up (and learned English!) there, I always just list my opinion or answer as coming from Florida.
Kirk   Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:44 pm GMT
<<In the US the generic term is jelly, which although the term is used in the UK for a clear jam tends to be more associated with Jello (US). Marmalade I think is used universally for products made from citrus fruits. God only knows what the difference between a conserve, a preserve and a jam is tho'- answers on a postcard please!!>>

I would say the generic term here in the US is "jam." "Jelly" is only used for very gelatinous stuff with no fruit in it, while "jam" is likely to be thicker, not gelatinous, and at least be made in part with real fruit. I believe preserves are jams made with significant chunks of fruit mixed in. So, for example, apricot preserves have noticeable chunks of apricot inside, while apricot jam tastes like apricots but probably doesn't have actual pieces of the fruit in it. I've never seen it, but apricot jelly would be very gelatinous and somewhat probably somewhat translucent. At least in normal usage, people may interchange the terms "jam" and "preserves" but "jelly" is only used for strict jelly. By the way, jelly is far inferior to jams and preserves--too gelatinous for my taste ;)
SpaceFlight   Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:09 pm GMT
<<Where in Florida are you from SpaceFlight? I no longer live in Florida, but since I grew up (and learned English!) there, I always just list my opinion or answer as coming from Florida.>>

I'm from Jacksonville and still live there.
SpaceFlight   Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:10 pm GMT
<<I no longer live in Florida, but since I grew up (and learned English!) there, I always just list my opinion or answer as coming from Florida.>>

Where do you live now and where in Florida are you from?
Tiffany   Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:49 pm GMT
Kirk:
But we still say peanut butter and jelly, when we really mean peanut butter and jam! Though I agree with what you said. I think of them the same way.

SpaceFlight:
I am originally from Miami, FL. I've been out of Florida since 2000, when I started college. Went to college in Massachusetts (Western), did a small stint in New Hampshire (less than six months) and I'm now living in Northern California (Bay Area).
Kirk   Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:55 pm GMT
<<Kirk:
But we still say peanut butter and jelly, when we really mean peanut butter and jam! Though I agree with what you said. I think of them the same way.>>

Yeah, I guess that phrase is fossilized as being jelly. Plus, some people really do eat jelly with their peanut butter. Of course if you say PB and J, which is also common, then you could mean either jam or jelly ;) I personally prefer my peanut butter (either chunky or smooth) on whole-grain or multigrain wheat bread with apricot preserves :)
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh   Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:23 am GMT
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Damian   Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:30 am GMT
UK:

Jam.....any preserve made from fruit......most kinds of fruit anyway..usually strawberry, raspberry, damson, apricot, cherry, etc etc

Marmalade - usually from orange.....varying shreds...also from lemon or grapefruit. Breakfast usage. Orange and ginger marmalade is yummy. I like being spiced up.

Jelly: a fruit flavoured clear dessert made to set with gelatin. Can be all wobbly if set in a mould.
Ecko   Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:10 am GMT
1-Soda, never ever Pop
2-Water fountain, or just fountain
Uriel   Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:03 am GMT
I usually say coke or soda as a generic term, never pop. Water fountain and drinking fountain are pretty common synonyms, the first being the more popular; never heard bubbler before.

recruit instead of hire -- you'll hear recruit in the US occasionally.

sack/axe instead of fire -- We'll say "he got the axe" sometimes. You'll also hear of the dreaded "pink slip" -- now also a verb!

wait instead of wait up -- Well, "wait up" is a colloquialism; not everyone uses it.

are you finished instead of are you done -- we say both, actually.

mobile phone instead of cell phone -- once in a while you will hear "mobile phone" here.

disciplined instead of grounded -- well, they aren't synonyms to me; I might use either one depending on the circumstance.

expressway instead of freeway -- we have both. Freeways are specifically interstate highways.

you people instead of you guys -- we say that, too!

public service instead of civil service -- ditto!

High School dance instead of Junior-Senior Prom -- we have both. The prom is a very specific one; there are other dances in high school, though.

Primary School instead of Elementary School -- we sometimes use primary school. Also grade school.

Autumn instead of Fall -- we use both.

High School Football Team instead of Varsity Football Team -- again, "high school football team" is a generic term in the US. "Varsity" and "junior varsity" (JV) only apply if the school maintains two separate teams of differing skill levels for the same sport.
Rick Johnson   Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:10 am GMT
"Jelly: a fruit flavoured clear dessert made to set with gelatin. Can be all wobbly if set in a mould."

Jelly is also used in the UK for very clear jam- I've just had some Tesco Bramble Jelly on my toast which was delicious.

"sack/axe instead of fire" In the UK both Sack and Fire are used, Axe tends to be used most if an actor is dropped from a show rather than someone losing their job.

"expressway instead of freeway" - When I worked in Melbourne "freeway" was the word everyone used. In Brisbane preople seemed to say "motorway" which is the common word in the UK and also NZ.
Guest   Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:15 am GMT
And freeways aren't necessarily free to use!
Rick Johnson   Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:16 am GMT
"Autumn instead of Fall" - Fall seems to have fallen out of use in the UK as well. Certainly it seems that it was used up until about 100 years ago. There's a poem by Gerard Manley Hopkins (1844–89) called Spring and Fall.