Which is the second most important language?

Helga   Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:36 pm GMT
I don´t know which is the second most important language. It is difficult. There are several important languages: Chinese, Spanish, French or German. Can you help me?
Antonio   Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:50 pm GMT
Spanish, of course!!! It is the European most spoken language (more than English). It is only my opinion.
Andrew   Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:55 pm GMT
French and Spanish-

French, because it is the language of diplomacy and is spoken widely over the world on many different continents. It is also very appealing to learn because people of all ethnic groups and religions speak it .

Spanish, because it is very widely spoken and South and Central America, as well as parts of Europe and Africa. Spanish is also appealing to learn, like French, because it will broaden your horizons in the world and give you a sense of well-being.
guest   Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:25 pm GMT
<<Spanish, because it is very widely spoken and South and Central America, as well as parts of Europe and Africa. Spanish is also appealing to learn, like French, because it will broaden your horizons in the world and give you a sense of well-being. >>

These statements are totally subjective and lack any critical support. Your opinion only, I know, but what need would a Mongolian herdsman or an Innuit hunter have in wanting to learn either of these two languages?

Let's think outside of our own little Western civ mentality for a minute and focus on the world.
Chang   Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:10 pm GMT
In my opinion Chinese or Spanish.
Guest   Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:42 pm GMT
I've never heard of the "importance" of Chinese and above all German, don't talk just to open your mouth
Peter   Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:53 pm GMT
It's impossible to determine which languages is second most in importance. You can't really determine which language is first in importance can you?
kawaii   Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:12 pm GMT
If you are:

in Asia, it is Chinese.

in EU, it is German or French.

in Africa, it is French.

in America, it is Spanish.

Therefore, you cannot argue which is the second important language without indicating a continent.
Ornella   Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:55 pm GMT
I don´t agree:

In Asia: Chinese

In Africa & Middle East: Arabic

In Northamerica: Spanish

In Latin America: Spanish

In Europe: Russian (more spoken than German or French)
kawaii   Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:24 pm GMT
Ornella,

Importance does not mean population.

You should take most factors into considerations, such as influence on economy, technology, science.
A-S   Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:46 pm GMT
<<I don´t agree:

In Asia: Chinese >>

Why not, but Asia is so great! 3 billion inhabitants (1,2 billion speak chinese)

<< In Africa & Middle East: Arabic >>

Arabic is only present in north Africa, and other states as Somalia...
For me in Africa, the most important languages are, Swahili, French, and English.

<<In Northamerica: Spanish >>

I disagree, yes Spanish is spoken in Mexico, Cuba, etc...
But English is proeminent (USA, Canada...)

<< In Latin America: Spanish >>

Yes, and Portuguese also

<<In Europe: Russian (more spoken than German or French) >>

Russia is not really in Europe... Moreover the Russians don't consider to be European or Asian, Russian is not an official language of the EU furthermore.
Therefore, the most important "European" languages are: English the "european lingua franca", French and German.
Ornella   Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:53 pm GMT
I said after English. So, in North America is Spanish.

In Africa I added Middle East. So, Arabic is the most important.

In Europe, I have more doubts. In some european organizations, like OSCE (Where they are all the european countries like Russia, Ukraine, and Belarus), Russian is the second more used (after English, of course).

Kawaii, if you take in account economics and technology, German and Japanese will be the most important, and they aren´t.
A-S   Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:06 pm GMT
<< I said after English. So, in North America is Spanish.

In Africa I added Middle East. So, Arabic is the most important.

In Europe, I have more doubts. In some european organizations, like OSCE (Where they are all the european countries like Russia, Ukraine, and Belarus), Russian is the second more used (after English, of course).

Kawaii, if you take in account economics and technology, German and Japanese will be the most important, and they aren´t. >>

It's your opinion, but I don't share that.
Allow me to say it's a little bit simplistic...

"Vae Victis!"
George   Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:03 pm GMT
Spanish (a little more than French)
Marcos   Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:36 pm GMT
Spanish is more important in Philippines than Chinese or French. We speak a lot of languages in our islands, but perhaps Spanish is the second international language more spoken (after English).