HOW DO YOU ANSWER TO THE PHONE IN YOUR LANG/ IN YOUR COUNTRY

Aldo   Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:10 pm GMT
In Japan: moshi-moshi!
Pete   Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:24 pm GMT
<<Hi Marc,

>Mexico: Si, bueno? / Bueno? / Aló? / Si, quién es? / Digame?
Nobody says Aló? in Mexico. This is considered extremely pedantic.>>

Yeah, I also heard something like that. The galicism "Aló?" is only used in a few Latin American countries, not in Mexico I guess.

Greetings to everyone.

Pete from Peru
Marc   Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:45 pm GMT
">Yeah, I also heard something like that. The galicism "Aló?" is only used in a few Latin American countries, not in Mexico I guess. <"

When I was in Mexico (couple of months ago), all I heard was -Bueno, Si, quien es? & Aló?- Perhaps it varies, as I was in Ajijic, Mexico. Where there is a large abroad American colony of retirees. Of course this also happens in northern-mexico as well as the Chicanos over in San Diego whom answer with "Aló" (spanish intonation) or simply "Hello" (english intonation) and this evidently has influenced northern-mexico.
Travis   Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:13 pm GMT
One more lengthy formal version in English is "Hello, this is <name> speaking." Note that <name> is often not one's full first and last names but rather just one's first name or last name with prefix, if one wishes to not give one's full name out to any individual who calls.
Madame Lisette   Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:20 pm GMT
I always answer phone with a good fart
greg   Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:13 am GMT
« Guest » : « Hi; I would like to know how do you answer to the phone in your language, in your country? ».

En France, la tradition veut qu'on décroche le combiné...

http://209.172.35.132/fileadmin/phpscripts/dataMgr/XMLData/Uploads/vieux-combine-pour-cellulaire.jpg
Guest   Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:06 pm GMT
You're so funny greggy boy....

Not!

http://www.magicalrabbit.com/ebay/Dog_Doo_a.jpg
furrykef   Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:31 am GMT
In America, we say "Ehhh, whaddaya want?"

Just kidding. We almost always answer "Hello", or maybe "Yello" (which is just a "Hello" when we're too lazy to say an 'h').

- Kef
Guest   Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:44 am GMT
I think it's "yeah" combined with "hello" producing "yeah'lo".
Hyacinth   Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:13 am GMT
"The Bucket residence, the lady of the house speaking."
K.T.   Wed May 02, 2007 4:42 am GMT
I have lived in France and Japan, and those certainly are not responses I've ever heard. The Spanish is funny, but maybe mean-spirited.
K.T.   Wed May 02, 2007 4:44 am GMT
Moshi moshi is correct, Franco's romaji response is ano, like a sukebe or a chikan.
K.T.   Wed May 02, 2007 4:51 am GMT
I have heard the following in the USA or from English-speaking natives.

(Smith) here.

This is (Samantha.)

Praise the Lord!

Company name, how may I help you?

Company name, this is (Latisha), how may I help you?

Yeah?

(Von Snooty) residence.

(Von Snooty) residence, Ima speaking.

I think it's perfectly acceptable to use the "residence" response for families or if you are visiting and have to answer the phone for someone.

I think "Hello" is the most common, though.
Native Korean   Wed May 02, 2007 6:10 am GMT
In Korea and Japan, we have exclusive greeting for answering the phone.
It is different from normal greeting such as 'Hello' or 'Hi'.

Korean: Yeo-bo-se-yo (yo-bo-se-yo)
Japanese: Moshi-Moshi

This expression is only for answering the telephone!
Fundador   Wed May 02, 2007 7:07 am GMT
Philippines

Tagalog Speaker : Hello?
Spanish Speaker : Hola?/Hello?
English Speaker : Hello?

Tagalog is the official language of the country but we Tagalog speakers only use the shallow Tagalog words in conversations, 25% Spanish words and 25% English words and 50% Tagalog words which are usually (no,yes)

So when we converse on the phone.. the sentences are usually made up for those 3 languages. And never in my life I have heard someone answer the phone in "Tagalog". I don't even think there is a Tagalog word for hello,if ever there is, I am very sure it is very informal.