drunk drivers

Humble   Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:59 pm GMT
Hi,
Please correct the sentence.

1. Drunk drivers are a cause of 40% of road fatalities.
2. Drunk drivers are the cause of 40% of road fatalities.

3. Drunk drivers is a cause of 40% of road fatalities.
4. Drunk drivers is the cause of 40% of road fatalities.

I know, avoiding the subject-predicate clash would be better, but I do need it for academic purposes.

Thank you.
Josh Lalonde   Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:27 pm GMT
Number 2 is correct.
SpaceFlight   Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:51 pm GMT
1 and 3 would imply that drunk driving is a cause, but not the only cause of 40% of road fatalities. Hence 2 and 4 are correct.
Humble   Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:09 pm GMT
Thanks, guys.
Guest   Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:21 pm GMT
Well I've heard of "bus drivers" and "car drivers", but "drunk drivers"? They drive drunks?
David   Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:02 pm GMT
No, only #2 is correct.
furrykef   Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:36 pm GMT
The verb always agrees with the subject. Therefore #3 and #4 are ungrammatical. #1 is grammatical but sounds awkward, and, as SpaceFlight pointed out, literally means something like, "Drunk drivers are one of the causes of 40% of road fatalities." Due to the sentence structure, though, it'd probably be interpreted the same as #2, which is fine both grammatically and semantically.

Just in case you're curious about "avoiding the subject-predicate clash", you could take sentence #4 and change "drivers" to "driving", referring to the act rather than the people who do it.

- Kef
Humble   Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:15 am GMT
A very nice explanation, Kef, but claiming <The verb always agrees with the subject> is somewhat simplistic. It's a treacherous turf.