English has no curses, why?

Omg   Wed May 02, 2007 1:56 am GMT
Besides f*** and c***, you can't say anything really bad.
What a boring language!
furrykef   Wed May 02, 2007 2:23 am GMT
The curse words that English does have tend to be stronger than those in other languages. And for offensiveness, you can't beat the infamous N-word, although it's a horribly offensive word for a reason.

I think few languges really exceed English in offensiveness potential. Russian and Japanese come to mind, though. Russian has many possible swearing combinations, and Japanese, though it has very few words that are offensive in themselves, allows you to say things that are so condescending that any native Japanese would be horrified to hear them. (That has more to do with their culture than their language, though...)

- Kef
Jim   Wed May 02, 2007 4:03 am GMT
Seems that they're bad enough that you can't bring yourself to spell them.
Guest   Wed May 02, 2007 4:53 am GMT
No need to be an asshole about it, you dickhead.
!   Wed May 02, 2007 5:14 am GMT
those are baby curses!
Guest   Wed May 02, 2007 5:26 am GMT
So they're used only against babies?
Sanjey   Wed May 02, 2007 6:19 am GMT
i have read all your comments and i think that is bollocks, because England is one of the rudest countries i have ever been with all the swearing and on top of that where do all the swear words that are spoken everday come from........i am sure it is English.
Pub Lunch   Wed May 02, 2007 8:19 am GMT
Flipping heck you muppet, your talking absolute bollocks, I mean, what the bloody hell are you on about you doughnut? Thinking we only have two words to curse - blimey what a twat!! You are a prick mate, a real dickhead, a twat, a prat, a pillock, a berk, a tosser, a wally, a knob, a knobhead even. You really must have shit for brains if you think English has only one curse word. Stop being such a sheltered little cock and talking shite and get out into the real world dickhead. What a wanker!!

Please note omg ,I really don't think those things of you, I was just making a point mate. Rather pointless I know.
David   Wed May 02, 2007 9:05 am GMT
May your granny die of VD after your own cock shrivels up!
Guest   Wed May 02, 2007 9:47 am GMT
You are son of a bitch -- how dare you say that English has two curses only. Shithead, buy a dictionary on curse words that you would know how many fucking crude words are there to use.
WHAATTT???   Wed May 02, 2007 12:52 pm GMT
English has the biggest number of curses, slurs etc. of any other language, evidently you don't know what you are saying
furrykef   Wed May 02, 2007 2:41 pm GMT
> English has the biggest number of curses, slurs etc. of any other language

No it doesn't. Surely that award would go to a language like Russian.

Anyway, I don't really think this discussion is going to go anywhere. The point has pretty much been made...

- Kef
Guest   Wed May 02, 2007 2:45 pm GMT
Furrykef, dude, avoid writing your name at the bottom. We can see your name on the top box given above. It states: your name.

As for curse words, English has a lot of them not just two. If we go by the nature of general public having two words will not be suffice to express their anger.
furrykef   Wed May 02, 2007 4:49 pm GMT
> Furrykef, dude, avoid writing your name at the bottom. We can see your name on the top box given above. It states: your name.

I know that. It's what I do at every forum I visit, including those where I have an avatar and signature that easily identifies me. It's just what I do. (Partly I do it to avoid being addressed as "furry" instead of as "Kef"...)

- Kef
Adam   Wed May 02, 2007 6:58 pm GMT
The Top 10 swear words in English (British) are:

..............................% of people who said the word is "very severe"
1) Cunt............................83
2) Motherfucker.................79
3) Fuck.............................71
4) Wanker.........................37
5) Nigger...........................42
6) Bastard.........................33
7) Prick..............................26
8) Bollocks.........................26