supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Paul   Sun May 13, 2007 2:10 pm GMT
Why is the "c" pronounced /k/ when there's an "e" after it?
s.jack   Sun May 13, 2007 2:37 pm GMT
Because it is actualy two words, supercalifragilistic AND expialidocious, both being adjectives.
Lazar   Sun May 13, 2007 4:43 pm GMT
Yes, even though it's spelled as one word, and identified as one word in the song, it's clearly a compound of two imaginary Latinate words: "supercalifragilistic" and "expialidocious".

In Spanish I suppose it would be something like "supercalifragilístico-expialidoz". ;-)
s.jack   Sun May 13, 2007 4:59 pm GMT
You mean: суперкалифраджилистьично-експиялидостично. ;)
Guest   Sun May 13, 2007 5:58 pm GMT
Haha! Or "supercalifragilistique-expialidoce".
Lazar   Sun May 13, 2007 5:59 pm GMT
^ Sorry, that was by me.
s.jack   Sun May 13, 2007 6:57 pm GMT
Yeah. Heh-heh
Or, how about this one: suparukaraharajiristiku-ekosupiridoshizu?
:@b FOTCL
Gabriel   Sun May 13, 2007 9:58 pm GMT
I think it was rendered "supercalifragilísticoexpialidoso" in Spanish. At least words which end in "ous" in English usually have the "oso/a" ending in Spanish:
delicious - delicioso/a
suspicious - sospechoso/a
ambitious - ambicioso/a
etc.
Guest   Sun May 13, 2007 10:16 pm GMT
Blame Mary Poppins
Lazar   Sun May 13, 2007 11:37 pm GMT
<<I think it was rendered "supercalifragilísticoexpialidoso" in Spanish. At least words which end in "ous" in English usually have the "oso/a" ending in Spanish:
delicious - delicioso/a
suspicious - sospechoso/a
ambitious - ambicioso/a>>

I disagree. The words that you list are all "icious" or "itious" words in English. But look at the "ocious" words: we have "ferocious-feroz", "atrocious-atroz", "precocious-precoz". (This adjectival ending comes from the Latin "ox": "ferox, atrox, praecox".) So likewise I was thinking that "...expialidocious" would be "...expialidoz" in Spanish (with a similar Latin version "...expialidox").

On the other hand, when I googled these words, "supercalifragilisticoexpialidoso" was the only one to return any hits, so I'll concede that you're right about actual usage. But I humbly suggest that my version is more etymologically correct. ;-)

I think mine would work better in the song, because they do rhyme it with "atrocious":

"Supercalifragilisticoexpialidoz
Aunque su sonido es algo muy atroz"
Presley.   Mon May 14, 2007 3:41 am GMT
«Blame Mary Poppins »

She's a witch!
s.jack   Mon May 14, 2007 3:23 pm GMT
@ Presley
And you're fat junkie.
furrykef   Mon May 14, 2007 4:27 pm GMT
<< On the other hand, when I googled these words, "supercalifragilisticoexpialidoso" was the only one to return any hits, so I'll concede that you're right about actual usage. But I humbly suggest that my version is more etymologically correct. ;-) >>

Seems that it's often spelled "...espialidoso", though they'd be pronounced the same way in Spain (or at least some parts of Spain).

Anyway, what's more is that your version has the right number of syllables, but it puts the stress on the wrong syllable. Sometimes you just can't win.

- Kef
Lazar   Mon May 14, 2007 10:07 pm GMT
<<Anyway, what's more is that your version has the right number of syllables, but it puts the stress on the wrong syllable.>>

What do you mean by that? My version fits perfectly into the song:

SU-per-CA-li-FRA-gi-LIS-ti-CO-ex-PIA-li-DOZ
AUN-que-SU-so-NI-do (pause) es-AL-go-MUY-a-TROZ

Remember that in speech, the stress would be on "oz".
furrykef   Mon May 14, 2007 11:00 pm GMT
I forgot that "pia" is only one syllable in Spanish. Easy to forget considering that the original song split that into two syllables. But then it *is* a syllable short, but the "doz" could be sustained over two notes.

In that case, the "-oso" version does have the correct length and the correct meter, so that's one thing that does recommend it over the "-oz" translation, but then it doesn't rhyme so neatly with "atroz", so that has to be changed (the first lyric sheet I found says "enredoso": "Aunque al oír decirlo suene enredoso")...

I also don't know if "atroz" would have the right connotation there anyway. It's hard to tell just from looking at a dictionary entry.

- Kef