Fear of long words

Paul   Sun May 13, 2007 5:28 pm GMT
Do you know what the fear of long words is? Well, it's

hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia
Lazar   Sun May 13, 2007 6:33 pm GMT
I think that word is just a silly joke. According to reference.com, the Latin root "sesquipedali-" means "long word" (literally "a foot and a half long"), so "sesquipedaliophobia" would be sufficient to convey the meaning.

"Hippopoto-" and "monstro-" don't convey any additional meaningful information; they just make the word excessively and ironically long. "Fear of long words" becomes the ridiculous "fear of long hippopotamus monster words".

In fact, the commonly cited word is a mess as a compound, because "hippopotamus" is composed of the words "hippos" ("horse") and "potamos" ("riverine"); so splitting the root at "hippopot-" makes no sense.
Jim   Mon May 14, 2007 1:44 am GMT
"Sesquipedaliophobia" is already fearfully long but if you wanted to remove some of the silliness from the joke you could change it from a "a foot and a half long" to something like "a league, a mile, a stadion, an arpent, a perch, a pace, a step, a cubit, a foot, a palm, an inch, a digit and a half long". What would that be ... ? Something like "leugamilliaristadiactiperticapassigradicubitipespalmiuncisesquidigitaliophobia" ... I dunno Latin but this is funnier (and longer) than "fearofmonsterhippotamuslongwords".
Lazar   Mon May 14, 2007 2:05 am GMT
In fact I think the best word for this concept would be "megalogophobia".
Jimmy   Tue May 22, 2007 8:24 pm GMT
I am scared about this topic i have this phobia
SpaceFlight   Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:14 pm GMT
"Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia" meaning the fear of the number 666 is another long phobia word. It's almost as long as "hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia".
Dolly   Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:24 pm GMT
"Known by a number of names - Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, Sesquipedalophobia, and Fear of Long Words being the most common - the problem often significantly impacts the quality of life."

http://www.changethatsrightnow.com/problem_detail.asp?SDID=1404:1595
beneficii   Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:04 am GMT
Paul,

"hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia"

That word scares me, lol. Hippopotamus something, lol.
Brent   Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:43 pm GMT
Haha people. I am doing a porject on this, and most of the roots for this word doens't even make sense!!