Aussie Bible now in text message form- gr8!

Rik Jonsn -in da muthalnd   Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:09 am GMT
Apparently not content with the Strine form, the Bible Society in Australia has translated the Old and New testaments into text message language.

It begins.....

"In da Bginnin God Cr8d da heavens and da earth. Da earth waz barren, wit no 4m of life; it waz unda a roaring ocean cuvred wit dRkness".

(Source: Daily Telegraph UK- 7th October 2005)

I thought, since predictive text came out, that this form was going out of fashion- maybe I'm just getting old but I find it much harder to read!
paul   Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:52 pm GMT
hey.....the Word shall reach every person.then the Lord will return.
Mxsmanic   Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:04 am GMT
The abbreviated forms of text messaging represent an extremely short-term phenomenon; it is a waste of time to bother learning them, unless one has a very great and immediate need to use them today. They exist only because of technological limitations that will disappear in the future.
Adam   Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:59 pm GMT
An Englishman has just created a version of the Bible in limerick, to make it more appealing to children.
Adam   Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:03 pm GMT
And ANOTHER version of the Bible, that can be read in almost two hours, was has just been launched -

New page-turner Bible is launched

The 100-Minute Bible is being sent to schools and churches
A new version of the Bible which its author says can be read in less than two hours has been launched.

The 100-Minute Bible, written as a page-turner for those who do not have the time to read the full version, was unveiled at Canterbury Cathedral.

Its author, ex-headteacher the Rev Michael Hinton said: "We have majored on Jesus, because he is the central figure in the Bible."

Bishop of Jarrow, the Rt Rev John Pritchard was a consultant on the book.

"This is an attempt to say, 'Look, there's a great story here - let's get into it and let's not get put off by the things that are going to be the sub-plot. Let's give you the big plot'."

More than 11,000 copies of the 100-Minute Bible, which is roughly the size of a notebook, have been printed, for distribution to churches and schools.

It took Mr Hinton more than two years to cut down the 66 books of the Bible into a version that could be read in 1hr 40min.

He said readers would find all the familiar Bible stories.

"We majored on the ones that have entered the common consciousness, like Noah's Ark, Jonah and so on."

The publishers of the book say that, just like the original, the 100-minute version should be a bestseller.

Len Budd, proprietor of the 100-Minute Press, said: "This is a book for adults and has been written in a style to encourage readers to keep turning the pages, but without resorting to any literary gimmicks."

news.bbc.co.uk
Jim   Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:52 am GMT
Jesus is the central figure only in the New Testiment.
Guest   Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:01 am GMT
thats gr8 m8, jzs i mite read tha bibl 1 day

chz
Dmn Sctlnd   Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:13 am GMT
In the bgnng ws the wrd & the wrd was wth antimoon & the wrd ws antimn.

may antimn b wiv u. Go in pce. amen
Gjones2   Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:34 pm GMT
>"In da Bginnin God Cr8d da heavens and da earth. Da earth waz barren, wit no 4m of life; it waz unda a roaring ocean cuvred wit dRkness".

I can accept that as a joke, and maybe persons used to that kind of writing can appreciate it. I can't take seriously, though, these attempts to put the Bible into various kinds of modern colloquial language, sometimes even into slang. I recall a friend who received a colloquial Bible as a Christmas gift, and she was showing it to me with pleasure. I looked at a couple of passages and couldn't help but cringe. I tried not to detract from her pleasure, but about all I could manage was to shake my head and smile.

As a literary work the King James version is my favorite. If people are concerned about the exact meaning of particular passages, they can supplement it with something more accurate. If they really want to know what the passage means, they should go back to the original. Some free programs will not only give accurate translations, but call up the original Hebrew or Greek, give English definitions of the words, and show how they are used in other parts of the Bible. The Greek wasn't classical Greek, of course, but for the speakers of that dialect I doubt that it had the effect of modern slang versions. If it did -- as Nietzsche points out -- it should have been written better. :-)

What other persons read is not up to me, of course, so if they like a slang version of the Bible, then...No! I can't stand it. Somebody else will have to defend it. :-)
paul   Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:43 am GMT
God(Father,son,and Holy Ghost) is the central figure in the Bible and Christians believe because Jesus is God,the Old Testiment points to his coming in the flesh and His death and ressurection brings about The Holy Spirit (also alluded to from Old testiment)
Paul   Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:45 am GMT
theres an old quote "If a dog will defend his Master,shouldn't His children do the same?"