United-Statian movement

E. H.   Mon May 21, 2007 2:00 am GMT
I don't understand why there's this controversy.

The English word for a citizen of the USA is "American".
The Spanish word for a citizen of the USA is "Estadounidense".

English and Spanish are different languages. Who says that "American" and "Americano" have to mean the same thing?

You don't see this type of controversy over library/libreria, or assist/asistir. Both of these pairs have different meanings despite looking similar.
Aldo   Mon May 21, 2007 4:00 am GMT
<<Just because a few extremist South Americans have a problem with the extra distinction, it's not going to change the fact that the term "Americans" is our tradition and will continue to be the name for citizens of the United States. >>

Again, that's a myth. The term American, Americano or Americain has had the same meaning no matter of language to refer to the inhabitants or things from the continent called America since XVI century.

If you talk about tradition I can tell you that the rest of inhabitants of the American continent have been known like Americans, Americanos or Americains so it's no really your "tradition" although of course U.S. people are Americans as well.

<<So to my Pseudo-American and African-Eurasian friends, let's end this United Statian talk once and for all, as it's ridiculous. >>

I expected this.

By the way, I really don't know who coined the term 'United Statian' which seems to be like a literal translation from Spanish or Portuguese 'estadounidense' or French 'États-unien' three of the main languages of America.

And unfortunately nobody has the control on how the people call you.
Guest   Mon May 21, 2007 4:16 am GMT
Just like "American" in English, "américain" in French has at least two meanings.

1. Inhabitant of the Americas
2. Inhabitant of the United States of America

Each with a distinct meaning.

From the Larousse dictionary...
américain:
1¨ De l'Amérique. Þ américano-. Le continent américain.
2¨ (1783) Des États-Unis d'Amérique. La politique américaine. Le cinéma américain. Cigarette, voiture américaine (ou n. f. une américaine). — N. Les Américains. Þ états-unien, yankee;

So you can see "américain" has been used since 1783 to specifically designate those from the USA.
Here US civilization   Mon May 21, 2007 1:10 pm GMT
Other people died in Idaho shooted by the umpteenth lunatic fool.
great, what a wonderful land.
A primitive far West.
Keep on selling weapons even to dogs, cats and hamsters: that the results. Very civilized.
Keep on talking about this American/non american crap, these are the big problems!!
Guest   Mon May 21, 2007 1:50 pm GMT
>>Other people died in Idaho shooted by the umpteenth lunatic fool.
great, what a wonderful land.
A primitive far West.
Keep on selling weapons even to dogs, cats and hamsters: that the results. Very civilized.
Keep on talking about this American/non american crap, these are the big problems!! <<

Are you aware eight years ago, biologists released 15 gray wolves into Idaho and 14 into Yellowstone National Park, followed by 37 more the following year?

Events of the past decade in the American/non American West offer some hope. Old ranches, new vacation homes, dogs and cats wild and domestic, and hunters of both two- and four-legged variety are all parts of this larger ecosystem, but as yet, too few people are thinking of it this way...some people do when they lack the capacity or will to tackle big problems.
RR   Mon May 21, 2007 3:02 pm GMT
<<The point I was making was that the British are the ones who began calling people in the 13 colonies "Americans." Read more closely next time! >>

You are really retarded, you are a pro of stupidity. Tell us genius, how do you think the British or anybody else would call an inhabitant of the continent called America ?

Africans ?

Where do you think the word America comes ? Do you really think that United Statians invented the term ?

You all are unique!
Guest   Mon May 21, 2007 3:23 pm GMT
Is there someone here who has the balls to say most Americans (US) are NAZI???
Guest   Mon May 21, 2007 3:53 pm GMT
...WTF?
elbarto   Mon May 21, 2007 4:00 pm GMT
"Where do you think the word America comes? Do you really think that United Statians invented the term?”

>>That's so true, let's say that... Canada was the first country in America to gain independence, then they would name the continents after their country? Obviously not, that's the stupid way of thinking that United Statians have.

>>Then there would be 2 continents North Canada and South Canada? rotf, WRONG, the United States of America was named after the continent if was located in, and the fact of the matter is that nowadays the BIG MAJORITY of the languages do NOT use the word "American" to refer to US citizens.
Guest   Mon May 21, 2007 5:09 pm GMT
You are really retarded, you are a pro of stupidity. Tell us genius, how do you think the British or anybody else would call an inhabitant of the continent called America?

Uh they called them what they were, Spaniards, French, Portogese, etc.

Where do you think the word America comes ? Do you really think that United Statians invented the term ?

You all are unique!

Nope, we didn't invent the term, but we have more claim to it than anyone else!
Guest   Mon May 21, 2007 5:12 pm GMT
>>That's so true, let's say that... Canada was the first country in America to gain independence, then they would name the continents after their country? Obviously not, that's the stupid way of thinking that United Statians have.

No, you're conflating two arguments. You're a fucking moron! No one is arguing that the continents are named after us.

>>Then there would be 2 continents North Canada and South Canada? rotf, WRONG, the United States of America was named after the continent if was located in, and the fact of the matter is that nowadays the BIG MAJORITY of the languages do NOT use the word "American" to refer to US citizens.

That simply untrue. Again, more of your stupidity! Only TWO languages don't use "American" to refer to United States citizens. Those languages are Spanish and Portugese. As we've shown over and over, in most other languages it is customary to refer to us as Americans!
elbarto   Mon May 21, 2007 6:09 pm GMT
"Where do you think the word America comes? Do you really think that United Statians invented the term?”

>>The truth hurts baby doesn't it?
Guest   Mon May 21, 2007 6:23 pm GMT
It doesn't hurt me, because I know I am right.

I'm proud to be an American, living in the greatest country on the planet! I understand the jealousy from the South Americans and Central Americans, and that's why they want to pretend to call themselves "Americans," but they're not fooling anyone!
Guest   Mon May 21, 2007 6:43 pm GMT
jealousy??!! you live in the greatest sewer of the planet!
s.jack   Mon May 21, 2007 6:46 pm GMT
I'm proud to be a Sasquatch, living in the Rocky Mountains, on the planet Earth! I understand your jelaousy, but you can never be so beautiful as we The Proud Sasquatch are, so do not fool yourselves! Hail Sasquatch!