Future of Spanish in the United States/Some Clarifications

Invitado   Thu May 31, 2007 10:17 pm GMT
Los EEUU tarde que tempano será una nación bilingüe, aún más de lo que el suroeste ya lo es. ¡Que viva el castellano!
Guest   Thu May 31, 2007 10:41 pm GMT
<<Los EEUU tarde que tempano será una nación bilingüe, aún más de lo que el suroeste ya lo es. ¡Que viva el castellano!>>

The United States will never be a bilingual nation, and even if it gets close to that point, Spanish will remain the language of the lower class. Americans are starting to wake up and realizing that WE DON'T WANT SPANISH to be spoken in our country, at least not in any official capacity.

LONG LIVE ENGLISH!
K. T.   Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:11 am GMT
I speak Spanish, but I'm not convinced the United States will become bilingual. Some of my "parientes" disagree, but one of the requirements of the new "amnesty" will be proficiency in English.

Other people who come to the United States have to learn English. We shouldn't make exceptions for one group and not other groups. Cubans have learned English. Vietnamese have learned English. Japanese and French people don't get driving manuals in their languages where I live.

I think it's insulting to Mexicans and Central Americans to imply that we will become bilingual because immigrants can't learn English.

Of course, I think it's fine for lawyers and healthcare professionals to learn some Spanish. It's kind of being forced on us, anyway.

I interpret in Spanish sometimes, so I'm NOT anti-hispanic. I also interpret in French, so please don't turn this into hate-fest.
Guest   Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:33 am GMT
I agree, K.T. Unofficial use of Spanish is fine. Where we run into problems is when multilingualism is legislated. It's a waste of money that we just don't need in this country.
Guest   Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:38 am GMT
"I agree, K.T. Unofficial use of Spanish is fine. Where we run into problems is when multilingualism is legislated. It's a waste of money that we just don't need in this country."

This country would be better off if it was Trilingual. As most European countries are. That is why the U.S is rascist with its nationalistic ideals of English only and that is one of the fundamental reasons why the U.S has racial discord. Because many don't feel accepted nor granted position in the U.S.

Yepp.
Guest   Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:03 pm GMT
wow Last comments seem to be more in line with what i think of this issue.
So we now deserve some jokes on spanish and english:
En un barco viaja un español y un inglés. El inglés se cae al agua y grita:
¡Help! ¡Help! ¡Help!
Entonces dice el español:
Gel no tengo, pero si quieres shampoo.
Another one:
Do you speak English?
¿Cómo dice usted?
Do you speak English?
¡No lo entiendo!
Le pregunto que si habla usted Inglés.
¡Ah sí, perfectamente!
Guest   Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:21 pm GMT
I will be happy if USA will be a bilingual country, there will be more culture. Above all people may change idea to think English as the langauge of the poors and without culture
Guest   Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:12 pm GMT
We already waste a lot of money because illegal immigrants are too lazy to learn English. No way are we going to waste anymore by making Spanish official.
Guest   Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:31 pm GMT
"We already waste a lot of money because illegal immigrants are too lazy to learn English."

Many Americans don't even know how to write and speak formal English. All they know is slang English, the Americans are the lazy ones imposing their laid-back ideals onto the Mexicans and others. For example "many" spell "arctic circle" as "artic circle" or "intriguing" as "intriging" etc. I'll grant you that some Americans know the proper way, but many don't even know these trivial words by heart.
Guest   Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:23 pm GMT
Unfortunately the yankees are afraid some culture enters in their shithole country, they complain, the just always cry and complain, So boring.
Miguel de Cerveza   Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:48 am GMT
You Hispanics claim to have culture??? HA HA HA! Hispanic culture is a piece of shit slowly rotting inside a coffee can.
Guest   Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:18 am GMT
<<Many Americans don't even know how to write and speak formal English. All they know is slang English, the Americans are the lazy ones imposing their laid-back ideals onto the Mexicans and others. For example "many" spell "arctic circle" as "artic circle" or "intriguing" as "intriging" etc. I'll grant you that some Americans know the proper way, but many don't even know these trivial words by heart.>>

Well that's about the most off the mark comment I've read on here in a while. Literacy rates in the United States are higher than every single Hispanic country. If we don't know the formal version of our language, I shudder to think at how low the numbers are in those countries with Spanish.

<<Unfortunately the yankees are afraid some culture enters in their shithole country, they complain, the just always cry and complain, So boring.>>

What, the culture of working two days a week and having a siesta the rest of the time? Or maybe it's eating beans every meal? Yeah, we'll pass.
Guest   Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:04 pm GMT
Nobody works two days a week but in the faboulous land existing only in your sick brain!!
You have the "culture" of working like donkey and being slaves of the capitalism, wonderful way of life! Obviously this happens only in theory because the great part of yankees run away from working whwnever they can! I doubt in fact that obese whales like you can move your fatty grease asses and "work", unless you call work the activities you make between an hamburger and a ShitMac!
Maybe if you stop to gulp down you may see (I doubt) the real culture since you have not one!!!!
....unless you call culture, McDonald...
Guest   Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:45 pm GMT
It's not even worth arguing with you about. Learn English, everyone will be better off.
Guest   Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:50 pm GMT
SOOO ORIGINAL! The usual litany of English!
I know English perfectly enough to talk with everybody and take the piss out of you until you give up. Not to bad for not being mothertongue
You have to learn manners besides English