How do you pronounce ''quart'' and ''quarter''?

Turn it up   Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:09 am GMT
<< <<"kworder" is quite common in American English. >>

And Canadian ;) >>

And Australian ;)
Uriel   Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:49 am GMT
Well, I'm no linguist. It sounds pretty much like a D to me.
Kirk   Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:55 am GMT
<<And Australian ;)>>

I thought about adding that too, thanks.
Kirk   Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:04 am GMT
<<Well, I'm no linguist. It sounds pretty much like a D to me.>>

That's also probably because, like orthographical "t", orthographical "d" in between vowels and after a stressed syllable is also not actually [d], but [4] (the voiced alveolar tap) in North American English (and some other varieties). For us, [d] shows up at the beginning or end of words (that aren't followed by any vowels) along with consonant clusters, but not intervocalically. Compare the following examples from my speech:

"bitter" ["bI4@`]
"bidder" ["bI4@`]
"latter" ["l{4@`]
'ladder" ["l{4@`]
"Florida" ["flOr\I4@]
"cadence" ["k_he:4Ints]

"bad" [b{:d] or [ba:d]
"drive" [dr\aI:v]
"The bed" [D@ bE:d]
"The bed is" [D@ bE:4 I:z]
"The bed squeaks" [D@ bE:d skwiks]
Travis   Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:48 am GMT
Kirk, actually, in the dialect here, one can get [4] both word-finally and word-initially in words that are either followed by words starting in vowels or preceded by words ending in vowels, respectively. And, of course, there is the overlooked case of /t/ or /d/ following a non-vowel sonorant, which is in turn following a vowel, and preceding an unstressed vowel, where [4] is also used in most cases. There are some exceptions, such as in my dialect, where when they follow /n/, /nt/ or /nd/ are realized as [4~], besides a few words in which /nt/ is instead realized as [?], with in such cases the vowel preceding the /n/ being still nasalized.
Jim   Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:49 am GMT
In Australian it would be more of a "kwauda" i.e. /kwo:4@/. Me:

"kwaut" and "kwauta" i.e. /kwo:t/ and /kwo:t@/

tho I am probably guilty of flappin' me "t"s at least some of the time.
Uriel   Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:10 am GMT
We're gonna have to charge you royalties on the t-flapping, Jim. Cough it up!
Uriel   Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:20 am GMT
Come to think of it, Kirk, I don't think MY D in "drive" really sounds like a D at all, as in your example:

"drive" [dr\aI:v]

Mine's more like "jrive". And it seems to happen for all my "DR-" words.
frances   Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:22 am GMT
Here's my soundbyte that you can listen to:

http://www.geocities.com/fkosovel/quart_quarter.mp3

It might take some time to load up because of bandwidth issues. If this happens, wait a while and then try reloading.
Brennus   Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:26 am GMT
Re: 'Quarter' I pronounce it kwor-ter. The most unusual American pronunciation seems to be by people from Massachusetts who pronounce it something like kwa-Tuh.
Uriel   Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:26 am GMT
(sigh) Geocities says come back in an hour, temporarily down.
Jim   Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:54 am GMT
yeah, I say jrive too. I guess I'll be paying double the royalties.
Brian   Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:58 am GMT
I believe this "d" or "flap t" feature originated from Irish English dialects principally, which is why it's so common in American, Canadian and Australian accents. It seems that most other British English dialects, especially from England, generally don't have this feature. ("true t" is consistently pronounced in t-initial words, e.g. tap, trap, top, etc.)

Would that be a fair surmise?
Brian   Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:05 am GMT
Having listened to the recording, Frances' first word, "quart" has a true t. Her "quarter" is pronounced with a flap t: "quarder" (non-rhotic).
Lazar   Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:13 am GMT
<<The most unusual American pronunciation seems to be by people from Massachusetts who pronounce it something like kwa-Tuh.>>

Um...no. In a traditional Massachusetts accent that would be ["kwO@.4@].

(Please excuse my anger as a resident of Massachusetts.)

How about you don't try to provide phonetic descriptions of dialects (especially in indecipherable ad hoc "phonetic" spelling) if you know jack shit about their phonology?

(Sorry for that.)