K. T. hopes this topic won't be deleted: South Slavic lang.

K. T.   Wed May 30, 2007 7:10 pm GMT
This is a linguistic question, not a political question:

Last night two people told me that Bosnians understand/speak Russian (as a second language, I suppose)...

Is this common? I may be helping with some ESL classes next week and I'd like to know for sure. I've been to the former Yugoslavia, but I was unable to communicate with anyone except in German, I think. At the time I did not know any Russian (I'm learning Russian now)...

I know there is controversy about the Bosnian/Serbian/Croatian language(s)...I'm not trying to touch on that.

Do people from the former Yugoslavia generally understand Russian as a second language? Would that be true with younger people today, or only with those who grew up in an earlier time.

Thanks,
K. T.
K. T.   Wed May 30, 2007 7:28 pm GMT
I just looked through the archives and found a pleasant discussion on South Slavic languages, but no info on whether Bosnians (or other former Yugoslavians) speak/understand Russian and whether it would be acceptable to use Russian if no other language is available.

Is it okay to call the language "Southern Slavic" instead of designating it as Serbian, Croatian or Bosnian?
Hristo   Thu May 31, 2007 5:18 am GMT
No thanks! Please, don't put us in the same basket with serbs. They are loonies and nobody wants to deal with them or be part of anything they are.
Guest   Thu May 31, 2007 7:19 am GMT
Bosnian Croatian Serbian the same language

You cannot change facts because of political reasons
Maria   Thu May 31, 2007 9:56 am GMT
No one is changing facts. What Hristo is saying is that he doesn't want to be in the same category with Serbs, who are well-known 'psikos', Europe's Koo-koos, Loonies of The Balkans. That's all.
Franco   Thu May 31, 2007 10:03 am GMT
VIVA SERBIA, Que Kosovo no consiga independencia! Viva Putin! Putin es tan fuerte! No permitirá que los países occidentales influyan en este asunto que no tiene nada que ver con ellos! Serbia y Rusia, dos países unidos en hermandad para siempre.
K. T.   Thu May 31, 2007 2:00 pm GMT
Actually, I was just asking whether or not Bosnians know Russian as a second language. If you want to answer about Serbians, Croatians or others, fine, but please only in reply to whether or not Russian is understood or spoken or if you prefer, whether it would be acceptable to
use Russian if there is a communication breakdown.

If I know basic Russian how much Bosnian/Serbian/Croatian will I recognize?

If it's the same language, perhaps linguists can come up with a neutral name for the language, but that's another topic.