Pronunciation of French words in English

chico   Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:13 am GMT
hi guys,

i live in central america. i speak spanish on a daily basis though i live in belize where there is a lot of english. i pronounce spanish names as i would en spanish even speaking english without thinking about it. i think it is what you are used to.

all of my english speaking co-workers do the same. it becomes a habit and so when i go to the states and say mongo instead of mango for the fruit people look at me weird and sometimes make comments. but i do it without thinking.
Uriel   Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:22 am GMT
Here most people do say "mongo".
Bob   Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:24 pm GMT
I say mango for mango but I can say mongo if it turns you on. Just don't ask me how to pronounce it; I'd need cockering for that.
titus   Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:47 pm GMT
how do you sat The mercy angel in french and The angel of Mercy
please respond
Travis   Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:49 pm GMT
Around here "mango" is pronounced ["me~:Ngo:]; the spelling "mongo", on the other hand, indicates ["mQ~:Ngo:] to at least me.
Guest   Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:20 pm GMT
How many people do speak Spanish in Belize? Is Spanish an official language in Belize or only a minoriy speak it?
Lazar   Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:38 pm GMT
Most people here pronounce "mango" as ["meINg7U] or ["m{Ng7U].

<<How many people do speak Spanish in Belize? Is Spanish an official language in Belize or only a minoriy speak it?>>

English is the sole official language; but Spanish is spoken by 46% of the people, compared with 33% who speak Creole and only 4% who speak English.
Lazar   Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:40 pm GMT
Oh, sorry, I guess that Belize question was directed to Chico. :) I was just going by the CIA World Factbook.