what's your favourite Slavic language?

Pawel (Paul)   Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:09 pm GMT
Hello everyone!
I use the Polish language every day. I live in this beautiful country. I'm a navite Polish speaker and I'm looking for penpals from all over the world. I'd like to talk with you in Polish or English. Of course, we can exchange our letters (I give you my postal address if you write to me). If you want to ask me something more, please write at my email: pawel_wilkus@interia.pl
Juan   Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:43 pm GMT
Pawel, I have some polish mates, and when they speak in polish, all I hear is CURVA every three words and then CURVA again.

I find this very annoying! It's like speaking English and every three words you say "Fu(k"

The sound of the language is very mushy and overly sh ch sh j - shushi chechshy jdeschy and then CURVA then again shushy strasky tzo and CURVA chteshy vshoresh tak CURVA and so on

“Hello” in polish is CZESC pronounced cheshte !

Polish is very shyshy ! and CURVA !
Dexter   Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:53 am GMT
slovenian, macedonian and serbocroatian
Nik   Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:23 am GMT
Slovene (my mother tongue).

From other South-Slavic languages I like most Macedonian - it sounds very nice to me. And it also has an interesting structure (complete opposite of Slovene and other Slavic languages) - its analytical, it has definite articles, etc... I understand it about 70%-80% (I understand Bulgarian much less). Croatian and Montenegrian are also nice with ijekavica, I agree.

From other Slavic languages I would say I like most Czech and Slovak (but hardly understand anything).
Sorin   Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:51 am GMT
I love Romanian!

which was a Slavic language before it converted to the Romance branch (almost completly) Though it retains the syntax and emotional words of slavic origin. What can I say? The romanian language is not a fundamental one but at least it's CLOSER to latin. hahah!

;)
Selçuk   Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:40 pm GMT
I like -ski, -vich ending Slavic languages, I don't know any, though.But i wanna learn Russian but I get away from Russian due to its difficulties.My mother tongue is Turkish because I live in Turkey.In Turkish; no gender, no irregular verbs/nouns/adjectives/adverbs as they exist in most other languages.So Turkish is very easy to learn, so you try once.Whatever, I like Slavic languages but I will never be able to speak none of all as they don't have much importance in Turkey for work.
Guest   Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:42 pm GMT
Croatian
guest   Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:43 pm GMT
>>>Someone mentioned the Slovak word for 'know' (I think it was"Wiedit'" ) this is similar to the Polsih Wiedziec, Wiedza etc. It is used for referring to knowing a fact rather than being familiar (with a name or place for example) which is "znac." Other Slavic languages seem to use znac/znat etc for "know."<<<

Slovenian word for knowledge is veda (know=vedeti), and same in sanskrt; showing the indoeuropean origin. Interesting. Some Slovenian people (Oskar Kogoj & co) when they came from India, reported that they could understand a lot of what was spoken.
Steve   Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:43 pm GMT
Living in Chicago, I hear Polish all the time. I think it's cool, and I'd like to learn it eventually. it helps when you can eavesdrop on natives a lot. ;)
Linguist   Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:08 pm GMT
>>Other Slavic languages seem to use znac/znat etc for "know."<<<

In Russian, знать [znat'] is more widespread, but ведать [v'edat'] is used as well and they are absolute sinonyms.

>>Slovenian word for knowledge is veda (know=vedeti), and same in sanskrt; showing the indoeuropean origin. Interesting. Some Slovenian people (Oskar Kogoj & co) when they came from India, reported that they could understand a lot of what was spoken.

when a sanskritologists from India come to Russia, they understand us without any translation, some of them think that Russian is a dialect of Sanskrit, actually it's not, I suppose that Sanskrit and proto-slavic were dialects of proto-indoeuropean language, and Slavic languages being very archaic, saved many features and they are still look like Sanskrit a lot.
Casale   Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:10 pm GMT
I love Serbian which has two alphabets (latin/cyrillic)

it's the best,simple and beautiful language to start learning slavic
Paul   Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:29 pm GMT
To my ear, Ukrainain is certainly the most melodious of the Slavic languages, Russian less so, Polish is the least pleasant sounding.
Guest   Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:50 pm GMT
Russian and Polish, As for the grammar I'd say Slovenian and Croatian
kwisatz haderach   Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:30 pm GMT
Macedonian is the most pleasant sounding . Czech is probably on the opposite side. Romanian is not slavic , Sorin, it never was and never will be.
Guest   Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:17 pm GMT
NO ONE

:-)