Linguistic situation in Morocco

Vytenis   Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:29 pm GMT
Can anyone tell me what is the linguistic situation in Morocco: what are the respective social statuses of Standard Arabic (Fusha), Colloquial Arabic (Darija), Berber dialects, French and other languages there?
Josh Lalonde   Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:37 pm GMT
I'm not from Morocco, but I've read about this kind of topic a little bit, so I'll try to help. Modern Standard Arabic (MSA) is the language of government, business, education, etc. and is also heard on the news. Colloquial Arabic is what people use to speak to each other casually and in music, TV dramas or comedies, etc. French is widely taught as a second language and is used for education along with MSA. The various Berber languages are spoken mainly by rural, poor, and/or uneducated people living in the Atlas mountains or other remote regions.
Vytenis   Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:11 pm GMT
Berber is also spoken in Agadir
Vytenis   Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:16 pm GMT
Besides, i've got an impression that French is very powerful in Tunisia and Morocco. Sort of like Russian is in Kazakstan or like English is in India...
Guest   Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:03 am GMT
Berber is spoken by a minority, its the historical language of Maghreb.
Arabic is the official and native language, spoken by the majority of the population, it's the language of the religion and the state.
But for French has a strange situation, it's the language of culture, and of the youngs and rich marocans:
Marock a film which explain correctly one linguistical situation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSs6mzk2p4U

Also it's the language of music (rap, rn'b...) with Arabic.

French have the monopole of the tv shows, as famous comedians as Jamel Debbouze, Gad Elmaleh,... and music: Faudel, Cheb Khaled, Cheb Mami, Nadia etc...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwpnn0rBMFM

That is due to the strong cultural link with France also (more than 60% of maroccans speak French).
chopin   Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:09 pm GMT
How close is the colloquial Arabic of Morocco to Standard Arabic? Can a person speaking one be understood by the other, or does one have to have studied the other dialect?

Also, how understandable is colloquial Moroccan Arabic to the other dialects of the Arabic world? Can a Moroccon be understood by an Algerian, but not by a Libyan (or Egyptian, or Lebanese, or at some distance down the line)?
guest   Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:17 am GMT
i know that moroccans also learn spanish because they tend to cross the border to spain.
Guest   Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:30 am GMT
Yeah, but not with so much interest unlike when they speak French and the situation dictates. The moment that they return to Morocco, they would soon forget it and start talking in Arabic and French again because Spanish is rather useless outside Spain.

By the way, Catalan speakers in Catalonia would rather communicate in French with Moroccans than in Spanish because most Catalan speakers are Francophile and Hispanophobes.
Català   Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:21 am GMT
We are also Francophobe, stupid centralist Frog.
American reader   Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:33 am GMT
I read that in Wikipedia (Spanish version). It is interesting:

Idiomas de Marruecos

El idioma oficial de Marruecos es el árabe clásico; es el idioma de la legislación aunque las leyes también se traducen al francés y a veces al español.

La lengua mayoritaria hablada por la población es el árabe marroquí, poco a poco influido por la llamada lengua culta. De facto existe una diglosía e incluso una triglosía. El rey de Marruecos cuando quiere que un discurso llegue a todo el mundo se ve obligado a utilizar el dialectal. El rey habla perfectamente español y francés.

Las zonas rurales berberófonas, en sus tres dialectos de las lenguas bereberes (tarifhit, tamazight y tachelhit) utilizan su lengua diariamente.

La lengua francesa era la lengua del comercio; hasta hace unos años la enseñanza superior se impartía en francés. Ahora ya no.

En las ciudades de Tetuán y Nador el conocimiento y uso del español es elevado; también en la población saharaui del antiguo Sahara Español; en la mayor parte de la población de Larache, Tánger, Alhucemas y Sidi Ifni es usual. Existen grupos de hispanohablantes en ciudades como Rabat, Agadir, Kenitra, Casablanca, Taza, Fez, Marrakech, Meknès y Oujda.

Actualmente, existen cinco centros del Instituto Cervantes, siendo una de las mayores concentraciones en un sólo país de esta institución encargada de la difusión de la lengua española en el mundo. La población hispanoparlante en Marruecos asciende a unos 360.000 personas en 2006

Escritores marroquíes en lengua española En el mes de septiembre de 1997 surge la Asociación de Escritores Marroquíes en Lengua Española con sede en Larache. Su primer presidente fue Mohamed Bouissef Rekab; actualmente la preside Mohamed Akalay; el secretario General es Mohamed Sibari y el tesorero es Mohamed Mamún Taha; los vocales son: Mohamed Bouissef Rekab, Mohamed Lahchiri, Abderrahman El Fathi, Abdelatif Limami, Mulay Ahmed El Gamoun, Mohamed El Khoutabi, Oubali Ahmed, Mohamed Laabi, Sara Alaui, Fatima Zohra Koui, Abdeljalil Rusi El Hassani y Mohamed Chakor.
Pedro   Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:50 am GMT
That´s right.

When I was in Morocco everybody spoke Spanish (at least a basic Spanish). There are several interesting points:

A lot of people spoke the language, not only in Northern cities (Tetuan or Tanger), but in all the country (Casablanca, Agadir, Marraquesh, etc)

There are 5 Instituto Cervantes in the country. There are Spanish schools and Spanish High Schools in all the country.

There are a lot of Spaniards in the country (a lot of them administrative civil servants, and teachers)

The King, Mohammed VI, speak perfectly Spanish, and several members of the Government too.

There are news in Spanish (TV), newspapers in Spanish and Moroccan writers that choose Spanish to write their novels.

Morocco has a lot of reasons to go to the Hispanic meetings.
Guest   Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:32 am GMT
<< We are also Francophobe, stupid centralist Frog. >>

You stupid HISPANIC FLY. I don't believ that your a Catalonian.

Morocco has no reason to go to the hispanic meetings.

The King of Morocco speak perfect English and no Spanish at all. The Instituto Crevantes in Morocco is closing down because the Spanish language there is dead.
Català   Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:18 am GMT
If the King of Morocco, Mohammed VI, speak Spanish, you are going to suck your father´s dick tomorrow. OK? You know how to do it. It is not a problem.

French is loosing importance in Morocco. Arabic is the official language and not French. French was the language of School, and now is Arabic. I was speaking with a lot of Moroccan people, and a lot of them speak very bad French.

Catalan people from Spain can speak Catalan or Spanish because BOTH are official. Catalan people from France (Perpinya) not, because ONLY French is official. So, stupid centralist Frog, we hate you more than you think.
Guest   Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:28 am GMT
<< If the King of Morocco, Mohammed VI, speak Spanish, you are going to suck your father´s dick tomorrow. OK? You know how to do it. It is not a problem.

French is loosing importance in Morocco. Arabic is the official language and not French. French was the language of School, and now is Arabic. I was speaking with a lot of Moroccan people, and a lot of them speak very bad French.

Catalan people from Spain can speak Catalan or Spanish because BOTH are official. Catalan people from France (Perpinya) not, because ONLY French is official. So, stupid centralist Frog, we hate you more than you think. >>

If the Catalan people of Perpignan don't speak French, it's non of the problem of the French people. They just switched from Catalan to French out of their own accord. They find French prestigious and becuase of high quality education. Unlike in Spain that the Catalan speakers fiercely resist Castellano because probably they see it as a language that belong to lower level. Yes, lower than Catalan, therefore they tend to look down at it.

You can lick your own asshole, because the King of Morocco speak English not Spanish.

If the Moroccans speak bad French then their Spanish is worse. Spanish is not taught in Morocco as what you hallucinated.

The trouble with you is that you don't stop your hallucination. You must heve just finished doping cocaine or marijuana that came all the way from South America.
Guest   Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:04 am GMT
Listen Hispanic Fly why don't you ask ypur dad toi fuck your asshole that is full of rotting and stinking shit.