Jade

Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:41 pm GMT
That particular Guest was me.
greg   Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:54 pm GMT
Je vous conseille d'aller faire un tour sur Etymoline car l'étymologie de Fr <jade> †<éjade> est particulièrement savoureuse...
furrykef   Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:50 pm GMT
<< lol....there is no ban rule on this forum because of no registeration system. >>

The administrators can ban people by IP address if they choose.
Rather not say   Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:21 am GMT
I don't want to appear bitter because we no longer deal with Jade Goody. Things ended professionally about a year before her second stint in the house. Personally I don't think she had much to gain from re-entering the house. Her gob was always liable to get her into trouble and she didn't have contact with her new PR company while she was in there.

BTW go out and buy a westlife cd - i've got bills to pay.
Uriel   Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:16 am GMT
No idea what all you people are talking about, but okay....

As for Humble's question about what appropriate synonyms would be today:

b) an old overworked horse; nag; hack

Well, we might still use "nag" as a derogatory term for a horse, although they certainly don't get worked these days like they used to, so it doesn't carry the same sort of weight it used to.

c) a woman considered to be ill-tempered or disreputable (derogatory or facetious)

There are any number of unpleasant terms for unpleasant women; bitch is the most common, but not the most imaginative.....
Humble   Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:37 am GMT
Thank you!
I’ve added several collocations into my vocabulary.
By the way once, a few years ago, I had a chance to watch BB and was upset to discover I could hardly catch 30% of their conversation, while the usul figure is 95-100% (BBC TV, radio). Their mumbling was incomprehensible.
Aha - nag. I was just about to ask again, then saw Uriel's post - thanks, Uriel. Horses are traditionally given much more attention to in Britain than elsewhere in Europe (races), therefore people are bound to use some word of the kind.
Uriel   Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:04 am GMT
Not an expert on this subject, but as far as calling a horse a "hack", it's not common anymore. In fact, the term has been transferred to human cab drivers (as has the task of driving people around). I think a hack was once a kind of horse-drawn carriage -- short for hackney cab?-- and you still hear the term "hacking harness" today. There is also a high-stepping breed called the Hackney. I bet the old terms are still in use by enthusiasts, just not by the general public.
Pub Lunch   Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:23 am GMT
Phew!! Liz, I thought I was the only one that had that view of things.

I didn’t consider Shilpa 'uppity' as such, but people that are from such a social standing will always come across as ‘up their own arse’ to Jade and the ilk (is ilk a word????) It was what channel 4 wanted, it’s what they planned and it’s what they got.

See, you mention the way Jade mocked her accent, and I agree that it was very childish. But that very act was used to paint her in a 'racist light', that somehow because she did an 'Indian accent' she was being racist. The funny thing was, Shilpa herself would do impressions of people in the house as well - was this racist?? No of course not, it’s called doing an impression!! The most racist thing I heard in the house was my man Jermaine Jackson call Jade's mum 'white trash'. Can you imagine the furore if Jade had said ‘black trash’ – so what’s the difference??

Your spot on, the politicisation of it was ridiculous, the way it was presented in the media as if the events in the house was a microcosm of Britain , that we are all ‘little’ Jades was unbelievable. Shilpa is no more representative of the Indian population than Jade is of us, but somehow people swallowed this rubbish (oh the dinner arguements I’d have with my mates mum (who is Indian) were unbelievable!!!).

Damian - pure poetry in motion - you must really like Shilpa aye!!!! (She was quite fit but not THAT fit!!)

I agree, the ole green eyed monster was a big part of the problem, but it was more than that. Shilpa does carry herself well, her English was spot on, but mate if I was born into millionaires row, and was sent to the best schools and grew up with the 'high society' I'd probably sound and act a lot different to how I do to.

Like I said, I could see straight away that Jade and that Danielle bird (who I thought was the worst) would interpret the way that Shilpa carried herself as if she was talking down to them. Initially when I saw the programme (I hate to admit it!!) I thought this Shilpa lass was a bit stuck up as well (I was clearly wrong).

You also mention that you don't know how Shilpa kept her composure, I think I do. Geezer, most of the bitchy behaviour went on amongst themselves and was hardly ever actually directed at Shilpa. We saw the snidey comments being made but most of the time Shilpa was not really privy to what was being said in the next room or what have you. And that is also another part of it, the editing process; you must always bear that in mind with these sorts of shows. They always want to create the good and the bad and can edit things in such a way that what someone says can be easily misconstrued.

Anyway she did carry herself very well, and despite her upbringing is clearly a lovely individual. I am glad Shilpa won, she deserved it and I think Jade deserves much criticism because her behaviour was just wrong (I thought that Danielle bird acted the worst however - horrid!!!!). But to be tarred with the racist brush was just not fair (in my opinion anyway).

I am glad the telly screens are rid of Jade, now lets get rid of that awful Jordan!!!

Right no more BB talk from me, anyone would think I am fan or something.
CMD   Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:35 am GMT
<< I am glad the telly screens are rid of Jade, now lets get rid of that awful Jordan!!! >>

Ack! How many times do I have to hear Miss Price talk about her man Peter's sizeable junk. That girl has no shame.
Guest   Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:43 am GMT
That Danielle chicko would get a hard spank on her ass if I were her daddo. Her choice of words would win her a nobel prize in "learn-how-to-swear-insults" field. ;)

I'd say shilpa has a big heart and tolerates so many unacceptable things directed at her. Watch a video of Richard Gere and Her over a kissing controversy on the stage. It is listed on youtube website.
Guest   Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:46 am GMT
Used to be that the image that the UK projected to the world was one of civility and stiff-upper-lip decorum, but now with the likes of foulmouthed and indiscreet pseudo-celebrities like Jade Goody, Jordan and that other big breasted Page girl whose name escapes me at the moment, Pete Doherty, Amy Winehouse, etc., I think that perception has gone out the window.
Liz   Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:33 am GMT
<<Used to be that the image that the UK projected to the world was one of civility and stiff-upper-lip decorum, but now with the likes of foulmouthed and indiscreet pseudo-celebrities like Jade Goody, Jordan and that other big breasted Page girl whose name escapes me at the moment, Pete Doherty, Amy Winehouse, etc., I think that perception has gone out the window.>>

Amy Winehouse is at least talented. The same thing doesn't apply to Jade Goody. You are comparing apples to oranges.
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:04 am GMT
***Damian - pure poetry in motion - you must really like Shilpa aye!!!! (She was quite fit but not THAT fit!!)***

Yes!.....she was! She was!..and still is! As fit as they come! In comparison with Goody the gorgeous Shilpa is the Virgin Mary and the Mona Lisa rolled into one! What do we hear of Jade Goody in the day to day news now? - zilch. If Jade Goody had the power to turn back the clock she would not have gone anywhere near the Big Brother House.......the same probably applies to those three other decidedly unpleasant female cohorts of JG. I agree it wasn't all based on racism - just pure bitchy jealousy as its most extreme. I agree that Danielle was pretty foul - strange really - trying to portray herself as all sweetness and light but inside something else altogether....it reminded me of when you pick up a gorgeous looking juicy peach but when you bite into it it's all nasty and rotten and dreich.

Shilpa? - she is treated like the Princess of Dignity and Pulchritude she truly is. Why else is she constantly being feted in the UK now? Such grace, such style, such beauty. She's made it here big time. And those jet black pools that are her eyes...........! Is it any wonder that Western men are falling over themselves to adore those Eastern ladies?

"Ilk" is definitely a word, PL....it basically mean of the same kind. As for the standards of behaviour thing - again I disagree to a certain extent. In my (limited) experience of Indian girls/women - I've found them to be very much more similar to Shilpa in how they behave and present themselves rather than Jade Goody or those other English women, and none of them had a background which Shilpa has. One of the less admirable of English (ok..ok...let's say British) characteristics is this thing which can only be class based. The worst thing about the English in particular (believe me it really IS an English thing mainly!) is this division and segregation based on class conscious. It just is not the same up here in Scotland....it simply isn't. That's how we sum up a lot of English people. Anybody seen as "uppity" just because of the way they conduct themselves is to be derided and reviled which is just what we saw with those four English women when faced with Shilpa. That's why so much of English culture has been dumbed down to a certain extent. I honestly think it's at its worst in the South of England where, just as one example, the glottal stop of Estuary is pretty much the norm and unless you don't follow the trend you're "up your own arse" to use your expression. If you listen to the phone ins on TalkSport (based in London) a large number of the callers are from the London, Home Counties area, and the vast majority have this same sort of dumbed down mega Estuaryspeak - which to a Scot;s ears are....well, no so nice! In fact - 'orrible, mite! :-) Why is it that one of the presenters on that program (a certain Jon Gaunt) lapses into extreme glottal stopping when doing his phone ins? The phone in number is 202020 but on his program it comes out of his gob as "twenny-twenny-twenny" and "Britain becomes "Bri'-un". When on the BBC Any Questions discussion program all his T's are clearly pronounced and all his "Britains" come out as...BriTain. And his 20s are "twenTies". Weird! It's some strange English thing......

There was nothing to stop Jade Goody upgrading herself to something more dignified - the woman now has zillions in the bank yet she still acts as if she is Eliza Doolittle before she met Professor Higgins.

One huge difference between the Americans and the British is that when Americans work their way up to the top they are applauded by everyone else, and if they act accordingly that's great....they are entitled to it. T If a British person does the same there are people determined to bring them down to earth, so to speak - they still think s/he has no right to forget their humble origins or "live above their station" so to speak. A large part of the British press are vile in that respect.
Liz   Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:39 am GMT
I find it ridiculous that some young upper-class people start to speak as if they had been brought up on a council estate just to sound "normal" and street-wise. Their speech becomes so artifical most of the time that anyone who has *really* been brought up on a council estate gets a fit of laughter at the very moment when those phoneys open their mouths. It really isn't in their line...I don't say they should sound like Brian Sewell (heaven forbid) or a character stepped out of an old black and white film, but rather halfway between the two extremes. To hell with street credibility.
greg   Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:51 pm GMT
Uriel : « Not an expert on this subject, but as far as calling a horse a "hack", it's not common anymore. »

Mouais... <Hack> ou <hough> ? Qu'en penses-tu ?