Mc Dreamy/Mc Steamy

Guest   Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:08 pm GMT
Hi everyone!!
I am a Grey's Anatomy addict, and I hope I'll find others to answer my question.
I know that "dreamy" and "steamy" are adjectives referring to sexually attractive men, but what about the "Mc"?? Does Mc Dreamy means something in the English language, or is it just a pun, something to sound like a Mc sandwich from mc donalds?
Thanks for your answer...
furrykef   Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:49 pm GMT
It's just there to make it sound like a name. I don't know why we do that, but we do. :)
Lazar   Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:12 pm GMT
I agree with furrykef: I think it's just a humorous way of creating a pseudo-generic surname. I've seen "Mc-" used elsewhere for similar purposes.
George   Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:55 pm GMT
McDreamy (and later, McSteamy) was a term coined by one of the characters on "Grey's Anatomy". Since then it's become a trendy, and ultimately, grating, term to describe a man who appears to be the ideal dream man, but alas, turns out to be less than perfect (but then who is?!)

The coining of words beginning with "Mc" to describe something deceptive in appearance and ultimately, crass, commercial or of inferior quality, are called "McWords", and has given the English vocabulary a whole slew of "mcterms" ;-) like "McJob", "McMansion", "McChurch", "McWorld", etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McWords
Uriel   Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:43 am GMT
Mc and Mac are common prefixes to names of Scottish and Irish origin, like McDonald, MacArthur, MacLeod, etc. Just means "son of". Since you can affix them to the beginning of almost any other name, they are quite convenient. But no, it has nothing to do with the fast-food joint, per se, other than the fact that "McDonald's" was also taken from a family name.
Guest   Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:24 am GMT
Thank you very much! This is typically something that you can't understand if you're not a native!

So, I have another question related to Grey's anatomy: I was told that the title was a pun, but I don't understand it! Can you please once again try to help a poor French girl...
Thanks a lot.
Guest   Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:02 pm GMT
<< So, I have another question related to Grey's anatomy: I was told that the title was a pun, but I don't understand it! Can you please once again try to help a poor French girl... >>

The title is a play on the classic 19th century human anatomy book, "Gray's Anatomy".
L.C   Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:05 pm GMT
What's a McDreamy?. Like McHello?.