SpaceFlight   Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:39 am GMT
Do you pronounce this number as "one hundred and one" or "one hundred one". I include the "and", but for some reason, here in the United States, math teachers insist the using "and" in numbers like "101", "102", "103" etc. is incorrect claiming that the "and" implies a decimal point. That's a bunch of nonsense as we'd generally use "point" for decimals, not "and". I wonder where US math teachers got this idea from?
Franco   Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:45 am GMT
If your speaking of a course at a university, its said commonly as 'one oh one'
SpaceFlight   Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:50 am GMT
<<If your speaking of a course at a university, its said commonly as 'one oh one'>>

Yeah. As a room number, for instance, it's pronounced "one oh one".
furrykef   Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:55 am GMT
As an ordinary number or otherwise, I would never understand "one hundred and one" to mean "100.1".
SpaceFlight   Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:59 am GMT
<<I would never understand "one hundred and one" to mean "100.1".>>

Who would? It sounds like nonsense to me. "100.1" is "one hundred point one". No one would use "and" there.
Guest   Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:53 am GMT
How many maths teachers? Just the ones you knew, I hope. How would they say 101 and 101.1, then?
Travis   Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:22 am GMT
>>Do you pronounce this number as "one hundred and one" or "one hundred one".<<

Actually, that'd be "a hundred and one", as in my dialect one does not use "one" with "hundred", "thousand", "million", etc. but rather "a"; "one" is primarily formal or emphatic here and is not the default usage in such cases at all.

>>I include the "and", but for some reason, here in the United States, math teachers insist the using "and" in numbers like "101", "102", "103" etc. is incorrect claiming that the "and" implies a decimal point.<<

I've never heard anyone claim that the use of "and" in numbers like "101" is incorrect; rather, saying things like "one hundred one" and like sounds ungrammatical to me.

>>As an ordinary number or otherwise, I would never understand "one hundred and one" to mean "100.1".<<

The matter is that in the dialect here, saying "and" is mandatory in numbers like "101" unless one is referring to them simply by listing the digits in them (as in saying "one oh one"), and never refers to a decimal point.

>>Who would? It sounds like nonsense to me. "100.1" is "one hundred point one". No one would use "and" there.<<

I myself would also use "point" to indicate a decimal point rather than "and".
Guest   Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:53 am GMT
math is not a forte of most americans......
SpaceFlight   Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:00 pm GMT
<<Actually, that'd be "a hundred and one", as in my dialect one does not use "one" with "hundred", "thousand", "million", etc. but rather "a"; "one" is primarily formal or emphatic here and is not the default usage in such cases at all.>>

Yeah, I usually use "a" with "hundred", "thousand", "million" etc. too rather than "one". If I were counting, however, I'd say "one".
Rene   Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:24 pm GMT
All math teachers say that. All I've had anyways. they can get kind of pissy about it too. I guess that the correct way to say 110.1 would be one hundred one and one tenth.
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:34 pm GMT
Think of all those spotty doggies. I don't suppose it's ever called "One hundred One Dalmatians"....missing out the "and" in numbers seems to be very much an American trait....eg Brits would never say "six hundred forty one" for 641....at least I've never heard it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Hundred_and_One_Dalmatians
Guest   Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:35 pm GMT
Hundred ten point one....is what I would say.
Guest   Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:37 pm GMT
six forty one is what I would say.
furrykef   Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:41 pm GMT
<< All math teachers say that. All I've had anyways. they can get kind of pissy about it too. >>

Well, if a math teacher ever said that to *me*, I'd say "Well you can take this 'and' thing and shove it up your..."

OK, I wouldn't say that. But I would start saying whole numbers that 'require' me to say "and" at every opportunity. And I'd put extra emphasis on the "and"... not too much, just enough for him to notice...

- Kef
Lazar   Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:29 pm GMT
<<Do you pronounce this number as "one hundred and one" or "one hundred one".>>

I pronounce it "one hundred and one" - the other version sounds unnatural to me.

<<I include the "and", but for some reason, here in the United States, math teachers insist the using "and" in numbers like "101", "102", "103" etc. is incorrect claiming that the "and" implies a decimal point. That's a bunch of nonsense as we'd generally use "point" for decimals, not "and". I wonder where US math teachers got this idea from?>>

I know - I had a math teacher in elementary school who insisted on that as well. I agree with you: I think it's complete nonsense, with no mathematical or linguistic justification.