Arabic in France or Spanish in USA

Guest   Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:16 pm GMT
America is a country, North America is ONE continent and South America is a SEPARATE continent. "The Americas" are the two continents together. No need to get it confused with "America," which is a country.

Maybe you need to go back to a school?
Adolf   Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:19 pm GMT
Well I suppose America means what you say only in your country, but in civilized countries the formal meaning of America is the continent between Atlantic and Pacific oceans. North America is a sub-continent of America.
Guest   Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:25 pm GMT
<<Well I suppose America means what you say only in your country, but in civilized countries the formal meaning of America is the continent between Atlantic and Pacific oceans. North America is a sub-continent of America.>>

No, we've been over this before on this website. America is known as the country in most of the world. It's only the Spanish-speaking countries that have a different definition.

North America and South America are two different continents, just like Asia is separate from Europe and Africa.
Adolf   Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:57 pm GMT
Larousse Encyclopaedia says that America is a continent, not a country.
This is not very importat to me because I am European, but I heard that this misconception irrites to Canadians very much, because their are also americans.
Guest   Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:01 pm GMT
No dear, there aren't only Spanish speaking countries which have this definition. In Europe the American continents are divided in: north, central, south. North America is a continent, South America is a continent, but the word America also means in a wider sense USA.
So when we talk about "America" it can be both meanings.
Adolf   Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:07 pm GMT
North America is not a continent because it is linked to Central America , there are not oceans or mountains between them. You ignore even what a continent is. I repeat to you, this is what Larrousse Encyclopaedia says: America is a continent.
Guest   Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:24 pm GMT
let's everydody think what fucking one's want and stop it
Adolf   Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:27 pm GMT
The word America is used to mean a country only in US. I don't think Canadians and Mexicans accept it because it would mean they consider their own countries less american.
Guest   Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:40 pm GMT
Oh please, you're an idiot who uses whatever definition is most convenient.

I'll repeat to you, if North America isn't it's own continent, then neither is Europe. If "America" is one continent, then Africa-Eurasia is also one continent. You can't have it both ways.
Adolf   Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:45 pm GMT
Caucasus Mountains split Eurasia into two continents: Europe and Asia. But the are not natural bounds which separate North America from Central America.
Guest   Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:51 pm GMT
What arbitrary stupidity! There are many much bigger mountain ranges all over the world, that doesn't mean that each one divides a separate continent.
Adolf   Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:56 pm GMT
Perhaps, but the distinction between North America and Central America is much more arbitrary, because there is not a considerable mountain range splitting both parts.
Guest   Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:04 pm GMT
Well, lucky for me, I'm not claiming that North and Central America are separate. My contention is that South America and North America (including Central America) are separate.

And just out of curiousity, what do you claim separates "Asia" and "Africa"?
Adolf   Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:16 pm GMT
Suez canal and Red Sea separate Africa from Asia, but there aren't any bounds between North and Central America.
Guest   Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:27 pm GMT
Are you not reading? I just said that I don't consider Central America to be a separate continent from North America.

North America extends from Greenland and Canada in the north all the way down through Mexico and ending with Panama in the south.

If the Suez Canal is good enough to separate a continent, then the PANAMA CANAL is acceptable to separate another continent. You're trying to have your cake and eat it, too!